Cannot connect Zumspot to my home router

Help setting up WiFi
KD9GYT

Cannot connect Zumspot to my home router

Post by KD9GYT »

Hello All

I am using a zumspot/raspberry pi with latest OS 3.4.16. I can connect to the zumspot without any issues, but when I change the pistar wifi configuration to my home network, save and reboot, it has not connected to my home network. I have already reinstalled a new pi image and did a factory reset to no avail. I have been working on this for 2 days.

Any help would be appreciated

73 KD9GYT
KE0FHS

Re: Cannot connect Zumspot to my home router

Post by KE0FHS »

This is likely an issue with your router. When you first connected and entered your WiFi configuration, you were connecting directly between the hotspot and your computer or phone, not through your router. The second time you tried to connect, it was via your router.

The first two things to check related to your router:
  • A space in the network name can cause problems connecting to some routers.
  • Some routers may require that you allow third-party devices to connect. If this is the case, you'll need to refer to your router documentation for instructions.
Also, you might try rebooting your router.

Good luck!
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KD9GYT

Post by KD9GYT »

So after spending three days and almost bricking my router. The solution finally appeared!

PiStar can only be connected to one computer at a time

So what this means in a more practical sense, I had tried my iphone, laptop, desk top computers to try and link Pistar to them and my internet. I had connected and tried various combinations on my router to get it to work. The problem ended up being that each machine I had used and left would connect to pistar each time, I would reboot the router.

So I shutdown all my other machines and pistar connected perfectly like it should
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KD9GYT wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 am PiStar can only be connected to one computer at a time
That's actually not quite accurate. What is accurate is that a hotspot running Pi-Star can be connected to only one wireless network at a time, but multiple computers can be running the Pi-Star dashboard for the same hotspot at the same time, as long as all of the computers are connected to the same wireless network as the hotspot running Pi-Star. I do this often when I'm testing something: I'll have the Pi-Star dashboard open on my main Mac computer and then run out to my ham station in my garage and open the Pi-Star dashboard running on the same hotspot via my Windows laptop (without having closed the Pi-Star dashboard on my Mac).

It can help to understand how Pi-Star works when it connects to a wireless network. If you have multiple wireless network connections set up in Pi-Star, when you boot up Pi-Star, it will scan each one in turn based on its priority of each until it finds one to connect to. You need to be patient because each connection attempt takes about 40 seconds. The first wireless network connection you add in Pi-Star's Wireless Configuration is given an ID of 0 and a priority of 100. For each additional wireless network connection you add, the ID is increased by one and the priority is decreased by one.

If you have more than one wireless network set up, then Pi-Star is going to connect to the first one it comes across. For example, I have both my home network and a mobile network configured in my Pi-Star hotspots. I always configure the mobile network first, that way, if my mobile hotspot isn't running, my Pi-Star hotspots will connect to my home network, bu if my mobile hotspot is on, my hotspot will connect to it even if my home network is on.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm