A tip for new Pi-Star users

DVAP Red Dongle
G4AON

A tip for new Pi-Star users

Post by G4AON »

The Windows software for the DVAP dongle, and some Raspberry Pi images, allow you to access the D-Star network with a radio on simplex set to the Dongle frequency and D-Star, ie without being specifically programmed. This doesn't work with Pi-Star.

The Pi-Star image will not work unless the radio is configured specifically to work with it. There are details elsewhere on this forum on how to program your radio, but basically set it to duplex with zero offset, the same settings as you often find pre-programmed into the radio for several nodes. see:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43

Also (if GPS fitted to your radio) enter your shack latitude and longitude into the node settings, you can then easily select your own node when at home (nearest using the search facility on your radio).

73 Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B
K0PD

Re: A tip for new Pi-Star users

Post by K0PD »

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to this as I ssh'ed into the file using sudo nano but cannot write the change as it is read only. What would be a simple way to write the change?
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

To switch into Read-Write mode:

Code: Select all

rpi-rw
To go back into the default Read-Only mode:

Code: Select all

rpi-ro
However, there's an easier way. Once you're logged into the Pi-Star dashboard Admin mode, go to the Configuration view, and then click Expert. In the Expert Editor view, click the DStarRepeater Quick Editor, and you can change these settings there, then scroll down to the bottom of the Quick Editor and click Apply Changes.

FYI: The fact that the DVAP and a few other older hotspots allow the use of DV mode is a hack. John Hays, K7VE, of NW Digital Radio, an authoritative voice in the D-STAR world, points out that using DV isn't the correct method to use, even though some hotspot device makers support that method in an attempt to make it easier to use their devices. Instead, John says we should be using D-STAR Repeater (DR) mode:
In the D-STAR protocol there is a bit in the header that says, this payload (transmission) is to be repeated.…¹ This bit should always be set to 1 (true) when a transmission is to be repeated (or relayed). DVAPs, DVMegas, Hotspots, … all are 'repeating' or 'relaying' D-STAR transmissions to and from RF, and thus when transmitting from your radio to such devices they are 'repeaters' and the bit should be set.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
K0PD

Post by K0PD »

Thanks but I figured it out. While in SSH, I issued the command 'rpi-rw' and that took care of it.