2m DVAP Transmit Lockup Bug

DVAP Red Dongle
K2IE

2m DVAP Transmit Lockup Bug

Post by K2IE »

There appears to be a known issue with the 2 meter DVAP locking up, stuck in transmit mode, after some hours of operation, especially on a busy reflector. Other users (via Pi-Star FB support group) have confirmed that this is unique to the 2m DVAP and does not occur with the 70cm DVAP. The same DVAP functions fine with alternative software such as DVAP Tool or condv and does not experience this transmit lockup. How can we get this looked at upstream so that it can be diagnosed and fixed?

I have run into the same issue before with other non Pi-Star installations of DStarRepeater/ircDDBGateway and reported it with no succes (ie DL5DI's OpenDV) fork. This was in January 2017.

Thanks for any assistance.

G4AON

Re: 2m DVAP Transmit Lockup Bug

Post by G4AON »

I too use a 2m DVAP, but as far as I know have never experienced any lockup, either with Pi-Star or any other Raspberry Pi software.

My DVAP is mounted directly on my R/Pi, uses the small stubby antenna, and is set to -10dBm output. I use WiFi and only have the power cable and a short (6") USB cable to the DVAP.

Perhaps the low power has something to do with it not locking up?

73 Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B
K2IE

Re: 2m DVAP Transmit Lockup Bug (Resolved)

Post by K2IE »

I seem to have solved the problem.

I upgraded the firmware to v1.7. This is not available from the official DVAP support site and I am not sure of its provenance, but I downloaded it from the Dutch Star website. Once I applied it the old DV Tools software would no longer work with it but it does with with DStarRepeater and therefore Pi-Star.

A couple of days later and I have observed no transmit lockups.

The firmware is available here: http://www.dutch-star.eu/software/

I also saw a Sourceforge page with the software, but I did not try it from this site:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvaputil/files/

Please only perform this update if you are confident that you know what you are doing and are willing to risk bricking your device. While I had no such issue I cannot guarantee your success.

G8OGJ

Post by G8OGJ »

The updated firmware is no longer on the DutchStar site as far as I can see - any chance of sending me a copy?

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

G8OGJ

Post by G8OGJ »

Gosh! I hadn't been able to find that file - many thanks:-)

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ