ft991A receive audio

Radio Equipment that can be used in Amateur Radio and where to get them. User support for those little problems that frequently occur and other little issues relation to Radio Equipment
W1WKW

ft991A receive audio

Post by W1WKW »

i read another thread somewhere saying their receive audio quality was lacking on wiresx with their ft991A, I also own this rig and agree it is very muddy and at times almost hard to understand what some people are saying, is it this radio or the system others are coming in on ie: their net quality or radio ?? I swapped to my ft70dr and it sounds far better, a very noticeable difference to me, almost night and day. Is anyone else hearing this on their ft991A ? Is this a known problem with these rigs ?
2E0WKS

Re: ft991A receive audio

Post by 2E0WKS »

same issues, you can tinker with mmdvmhost settings
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yeah, but even on yaesus own network it sounds like crap compared to their other radios in their c4fm range. But theyll never admit that

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
K5NES

Post by K5NES »

2E0WKS wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:33 pm same issues, you can tinker with mmdvmhost settings
So, I'm having the same issues with my FT1DR and FT2DR. I have to have the volume control almost all the way up to hear what is being said, and the audio sounds muddy.
What settings would you adjust and which way?

Thanks
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

+1, the other thread you read it's probably mine... it's a pity and a shame but C4FM on this radio seems really bad :( On mine at least the audio listening hotspot It's not just muffled but sounds like if there are lost packets or packets with errors that aren't being FEC corrected... it's really strange... maybe it could even be fixed/improved via firmware update but Yaesu doesn't seem interested in doing it :(

I did write about that problem to Yaesu UK and to Yaesu JP, from UK they just confirm the C4FM on this radio is not as good as on the other ones but provide no solution, and from Yaesu JP I didn't get any reply at all...
K9EQ

Post by K9EQ »

My experience is that the FT991A probably has some of the best C4FM audio. In about 100% if the cases poor audio is caused by the transmitting station. Once the signal is generated, nothing can change the quality or characteristics until it gets to the receiver. You may be hearing analog stations where the encoding is not set up well. You may also be hearing cross-mode connections, perhaps from Dstar, which has an inferior, much older vocoder.

No, the FT-991A has excellent audio on C4FM. Try listening to other sources. You'll generally find good audio on the all digital networks. Try MNWis, 21493.

If you hear good audio from ONE station, then it's not your FT-991A.

Chris, K9EQ
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

@K9EQ: My experience (and apparently same with many others) is that FT-991A receives good audio when listening direct C4FM radios, for eg. FTM-100's transmitting sounds really good listening on FT-991A, that is not the question here, the question is that listening MMDVM_HS or DVMega personal hotspots on FT-991A sounds bad, it sound's like if there are corrupted/lost frames here and there... and I'm sure I did listen other C4FM radios transmitting to YSFReflector, not DMR and not transcoded D-Star... and even listening myself using local YSF parrot of the hotspot, the playback from hotspot sounds bad receiving on FT-991A but if I listen that playback on FT-1D for eg. it sounds good. You don't have this problem while listening the hotspot? (what hotspot exactly?) It's very likely that there is something that is not perfect with the hotspots TX on C4FM and FT-991A is sensible to that, but other C4FM radios can handle it ok...
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

K9EQ wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:27 pm My experience is that the FT991A probably has some of the best C4FM audio. In about 100% if the cases poor audio is caused by the transmitting station. Once the signal is generated, nothing can change the quality or characteristics until it gets to the receiver. You may be hearing analog stations where the encoding is not set up well. You may also be hearing cross-mode connections, perhaps from Dstar, which has an inferior, much older vocoder.

No, the FT-991A has excellent audio on C4FM. Try listening to other sources. You'll generally find good audio on the all digital networks. Try MNWis, 21493.

If you hear good audio from ONE station, then it's not your FT-991A.

Chris, K9EQ
it's NOT the c4fm RX audio quality that this thread is about, it's about the fact that if you use a zumspot MMDVM PI-STAR Hotspot with a 991A the rx audio is terrible, I have used the same hotspot with ANY other yaesu rig i own, the ft70/ft100/ftm300 and my ft5 and NONE of them have this issue, it is documented and Yaesu tell you it is the hotspot to blame, it is not, it is the ft991A, if you go ahead and use your ft991A in simplex mode c4fm or log into a wiresX repeater it will NOT do this, it will sound fine, it is the 991a and at least the pairing to the zumspot mmdvm pi-star.