Cannot connect to Brandmeister network

Help with DMR issues
G8SEZ

Re: Cannot connect to Brandmeister network

Post by G8SEZ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 am

Interesting, I had not read that bit in detail before. I don't know what the effect of switching clocks would be on the mmdvmhost, it might not like it. a sudden clock frequency/phase jump might upset the UART on the RPi. If you look at the HSI frequency accuracy on page 56 you will see it can vary up to 2% or a little more. No idea if the user calibration register is in use, but even with that it could be 1% in error.

There's no doubt that the STM32F10x CPUs are clever little beasts, I had not appreciated how much flexibility they offer.
--

Brian G8SEZ

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:26 pm

The new MMDVM HAT has arrived this afternoon, just soldered on the SMA socket and it appears to be working :D

Hooray!

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Had a bit of time to play and now have BM connection backup and working.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all that have helped.
73s Mike

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 pm

G4TVP wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all that have helped.
73s Mike
Good. Now you can work out what's wrong with the other one at your leisure.
--

Brian G8SEZ

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 pm

G8SEZ wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 am
Interesting, I had not read that bit in detail before. I don't know what the effect of switching clocks would be on the mmdvmhost, it might not like it. a sudden clock frequency/phase jump might upset the UART on the RPi. If you look at the HSI frequency accuracy on page 56 you will see it can vary up to 2% or a little more. No idea if the user calibration register is in use, but even with that it could be 1% in error.

There's no doubt that the STM32F10x CPUs are clever little beasts, I had not appreciated how much flexibility they offer.
Yeah, I don't know exactly what it would do in that situation either, and don't feel like peeling off a crystal to find out. From what I gathered on the ST forum the HSI is accurate enough that UART communications are still possible even with that 2% error.

I wish I was able to get an inline debugger to work so I could step through this thing and really dive into the inner workings.
G4TVP wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 pm
Interesting.

I'm curious if your still getting those overflow messages in the log cept now it isn't breaking the communications, similar to what I experienced a few months ago.

Code: Select all

grep -i overflow /var/log/pi-star/MMDVM-2020-07-31.log
Either way glad you are happy with it working.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:23 pm

Nope, no "overflow" messages in the log or any other errors indicating any sign of problems.

I think working out what was up with the other board, will wait until next week. I am enjoying listening to TG91 in the meantime :)