Unable to get pi-star into DMR duplex/repeater mode

Help with DMR issues
KA5PLE

Unable to get pi-star into DMR duplex/repeater mode

Post by KA5PLE » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Please forgive me if the answer has been asked and answered I could not find it.

I have two problems which I am fiddling around now for two days and I can't seem to find a solution either on the network or in articles

I am a complete and utter noob when it comes to pi-star, I do know my way around programming my DMR radios I don't believe I have mad a mistake in programming my radios, and I tried with two different types of radios(GD-77 and CS700), so that I can say with certainty its not the type of radio (unless both are misbehaving)

Problem 1: I seem to be unable to get the node into repeater mode. I have a MMDVM_HS_HAT_DUPLEX on top of a Pi Zero. It is connected to my local WiFi and I am able to hear network traffic on both of my radios. I can even answer if I have the node in simplex mode. If I have the node in Full duplex mode with a frequency pairing of 441.175 and 446.175 CC1 TS2 the radios cannot connect to the "repeater". it seems to me that the initial back and forth that goes on between DMR radios and the repeater is not happening and therefore the radios are missing what I assume is the timing master or whatever signal they expect from the repeater when keyed up.

Problem 2: I have clearly activated TS 1 on the node, and I can attach talk groups from Brandmeister to the node as long as those go to TS 2. if I try to attach a talk group that goes to TS 1 I get an error message on the Brnadmeister site that something has gone wrong.

Third is just a general question: can Pi-star be operated as a repeater (yes, with am antenna duplexer and a power amp) not connected to the internet. The reason is that the plan is to take this little repeater out for trip when we are in areas without cell coverage, to help the campmates communicate even if there is no cell coverage available as a potential backhaul.
KA5PLE

KA5PLE

Re: Unable to get pi-star into DMR duplex/repeater mode

Post by KA5PLE » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Update: I have been able to get the pi-star and the dual hat finally into repeater mode as well as attaching talkgroups to TS1. Apparently the hat came preloaded with the wrong firmware. It must have had a simplex firmware loaded, the moment I loaded a dual/ duplex firmware all the problems went away. Right now it is working nicely on 2 slots (still have to attach an amp and a duplexer) and it seems reliable for what I was able to test without a duplexer (desense really gets in the way)

Which raises a different question: Which antenna is the TX antenna and which one is the RX antenna. Any idea how to find that out? I dont have an RF power meter (yet)
KA5PLE

W1KMC

Post by W1KMC » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Take a look at your Duplex board. With the antennae on the left I believe the Bottom One is RX and Top One is TX. The board should be marked as to which is which.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHC Trunk Ext 4329

KA5PLE

Post by KA5PLE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:19 pm

> The board should be marked as to which is which.

*should* is the operative word. But thanks for the tip. As soon as I get all the parts together I will give that a test.
KA5PLE