Post by G1SCY »

Thanks Dennis Gulp!!
Which one do I down load? Some are obvious not to down load
I am using a Windows 10 system 64 bits
Fred
AF6VN

Re: Using my Hotspot

Post by AF6VN »

Given a choice, I normally grab an MSI format. Probably the newest version (I have to confess -- I'm just now updating mine from the version I installed in Mar 2017 [16.04]).

Though the installer seems to hang saying file explorer is in use... (shutting down all applications to try to clear -- will return soon)

Okay, back... Nasty installer...

I had to use the Task Manager to kill "Windows Explorer" (which kills the background, the taskbar, etc. -- only running applications are left), hit Retry on the installer. When it finished I had to use <alt><ctrl><del> to get a screen allowing me to "sign off". After that I could sign back into my normal account with a fresh Windows Explorer instance and restart my normal applications. Come to think of it -- I may have had that situation back in 2017 too. Never tried the "ignore" option.

Apparently the packager of 7-Zip haven't figured out how to do a "reboot hook" in order to update the right-click menu for the application.

Don't know if the EXE version behaves any better -- if using the EXE installer, you probably need to right click "Run as Administrator"

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

Dennis
I now have a new code plug from Moonraker and it sits down loaded on my PC as a RDT file.
Can I just upload it to my radio?
Or does the old one need removing?
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G1SCY wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:43 pm Dennis
I now have a new code plug from Moonraker and it sits down loaded on my PC as a RDT file.
Can I just upload it to my radio?
Or does the old one need removing?
Uploads replace everything in the radio, which is why my recommendation has always been to first READ the radio and save the original configuration.

Please take a look at the following ZIP file. It contains the RDT as extracted from that Moonraker RAR, along with an RDT that I spent the morning editing (yes, I reinstalled the CPS for that radio). There is also a PDF file describing (with screen dumps) what actions I took with the Moonraker RDT. That modified RDT should have your ID/call, along with having the first 9 "Hotspot" channels configured for a selection of UK talk groups. After review (for any mistakes I may have made) you might try installing that configuration on your radio.

http://ad-hoc.microdiversity.freeddns.o ... oSetup.zip

Hopefully I won't get too many hits on that file -- the server is an R-Pi 3B in my computer room, and I only have a 1Mbps uplink speed, and the zip file is near 50Mbits is size. I'd lost my four 10MB web-sites on Earthlink earlier this year -- apparently they ran an audit and wiped them out as I only have an email-only service with them since I moved and my ISP is directly from AT&T now. So setting up an R-Pi and using a dynamic DNS service gave me a light duty web server (with essentially no limit on file space -- I have 7GB free on the SD card, vs 4*10MB Earthlink space).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

Dennis there isn't a lot I can do but to thank you for your endeavours and the help you have provided.
Thank you
It is very much appreciated and I am going to make the change as soon as possible.
Fred G1SCY
Post Script
Dennis got the new rdt file unto the radio brilliant-easily pleased ;)
I know need to get GB7PL and its attributes onto the radio.
I would like it onto Channel 2, 3 etc as necessary.
Can I do it by amending CPS and save it up to the radio?
How easy is it just to insert a line ie move every thing down a line
so Ch2 becomes 3 Ch3 becomes 4 etc etc
Fred
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G1SCY wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:06 pm I know need to get GB7PL and its attributes onto the radio.
And here is your major misunderstanding... You do NOT connect to DMR repeaters using hotspots (D-Star may allow linking to repeaters using the hotspot as a gateway, but not DMR). You connect to Talk Groups (or reflectors). If a repeater is on the same talk group/reflector, then the Brandmeister master passes traffic between your hotspot and that repeater.

The only way to actually "get GB7PL" is to climb a mountain and get a direct radio connection to the repeater. It is programmed into the RDT as channels 738 (TS1 TG9) and 739 (TS2 TG9). Those channels are mapped to the Zone "BM SW ENG" (choices 7 and 8)

Per https://gb7pl.uk/ TS2 is meant for use with reflectors, TS1 is intended for local-only traffic.
TS1 TG9 should be used for local QSOs - this channel will act like a standalone local repeater. Hotspot users can use BrandMeister TG235228 to join QSOs on this channel.
I did NOT create a Hotspot channel for TG235228 as it does not show up on any (DMR) talkgroup listing I checked. I also feel you should verify that the Hotspot is working with the radio using something with a likelihood of having more traffic -- like the UK-Wide.

I have to reiterate: I have no experience with using a reflector. The US Brandmeister masters have disabled reflectors since every reflector has a matching talk group (but not all talk groups have matching reflectors). The UK repeaters, OTOH, appear primarily to rely upon staying on talk group 9, and connecting to reflectors on that talk group.

If you really want to try for that supposed GB7PL "local QSO" talk group via the hotspot, you will need to:
  • Add TG 235228 to the Digital/Talk Groups table in the RDT (give it a reasonable name, and GROUP CALL mode)
  • Add the new talk group to Digital/Receive Group Call List/HotSpot
  • Add a new channel to the Public/Channel list (at the end of the list) configured identical to the 8th channel (HS 2352 Chat), but change the name to something meaningful and change the CONTACT to the new talk group
  • Add the new channel to Public/Zone/HotSpot
Make sure you are using the HotSpot zone, and select the new channel from the list.
I would like it onto Channel 2, 3 etc as necessary.
Can I do it by amending CPS and save it up to the radio?
How easy is it just to insert a line ie move every thing down a line
so Ch2 becomes 3 Ch3 becomes 4 etc etc
Ignore the order of the hundreds of channels. For accessing channels, you use a ZONE.

You assign channels to one or more Zones (yes, you can have the same channel in multiple zones). The default ordering is the order in which you selected and "moved" from "available channel" to "zone channel member". Your CPS also allows reordering by either the channel number or by the name. Unless you have a really packed zone (on my MD390, a zone can only have 16 "channels", since the "channel select" knob is a physical 16-position switch), you can create a custom order by first removing all items in the zone (select right side, hit [<<]), then select (left side) the one you want first and hit [>>], repeat for second, third, etc.

Your CPS also allow for exporting various tables to CSV files -- you could then edit them using Excel (or other spreadsheet), and then import back (I'm presuming import replaces the entire selected table).

Heck with it... I can probably make the changes as fast as I'm formatting this post.

Redownload http://ad-hoc.microdiversity.freeddns.o ... oSetup.zip

It should have that so-called GB7PL Local "talk group" as the first channel in the Hotspot zone, and I've reordered the rest

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

Dennis again thankyou and sorry you misunderstood.
I do understand the Hotspot concept
I don't want GB7PL to be part of my Hotspot I just wanted the repeater to be further up the page and its attributed talk groups like in Ch2,3 etc.
Fred
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Which "page"?

There are only two channel definitions for that repeater -- one for TG9TS1 and one for TG9TS2.

Those appear as entry 7 and 8 in the ZONE "BM SW ENG". If you don't like where they are in that Zone, you can either: make a note of all the entries in the zone, remove them one-by-one, then add them in the sequence you prefer; or you can make a NEW zone that just has that repeater and nothing else.

The only time you have to really look at the master channel list is when you intend to edit a channel (unlikely) or when adding channels to a Zone -- a one time operation for each channel in each zone.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KB0OXD

Post by KB0OXD »

G1SCY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm I guess my hotspot needs to be connected one way or t'other to my hotspot. WiFi or Ethernet
That depends on your hotspot. If you're using an Openspot 2 (NOT PI-STAR based but a hotspot nonetheless), you DO NOT need a cable to connect it to the Internet
G1SCY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm My hotspot is configured albeit I can't get the hotpot talk to my PC using WiFi but its ok using my router and an ethernet cable.
Have you tried using Hoseline to see if your call shows up on various TG's (MINUS the TAC groups which the admins monitor)?? In particular, have you tried Parrot (In Private Call) to see if you can be heard??

Hope this helps :D

Cheers & 73

Pat