pistar hostfiles - entry for DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT

Help with DMR issues
VK3VM

pistar hostfiles - entry for DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT

Post by VK3VM »

Hi Folks,

Its causing considerable grief in these parts with the fact that new servers have been implemented for hotspots and that an entry for DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT has sporadically been appearing on some hotspots.

i.e. have one hotspot here (my main dual hotspot) that has the entry for DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT - yet the entry will not be delivered to the other 3 hotspots that I have (each which has its own specific purpose).

Note that some users have commented that editing in IP (in via Config/ Expert / DMR GW or Full Edit DMR GW) produces strange, unexpected results (and defaults to DMR-GATEWAY).

I recognise that Peter Brennan VK3TE and the rest of the VK DMR-MARC crew are making some considerable changes to the network at present.

- Is the DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT configuration entry available at present or is there an issue with the p-star interfaces (i.e. this IS the last entry).

- If it has been withdrawn then when was it withdrawn?

There are a number of nets etc. commencing around 8:00 GMT this ... and there is a bit of grief and angst ... i.e. the local Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/743300879089972/ .

Many are reporting that editing in ip address 103.93.139.188 port 55555 via the advanced interface is producing unpredictable results; perhaps as an enhancement the drop-down selection box for servers also needs a facility to enter IP/Port manually (i.e. 103.93.139.188:55555 as an editable parameter)?

- If the DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT has been withdrawn which files in the pistar hierachy (as part of the "hostfile" update) need to be edited to fool the UI that this entry has been delivered from the central server as an interim measure?

73 and thanks.

Steve I
VK3VM / VK3SIR
VK7HSE

Re: pistar hostfiles - entry for DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT

Post by VK7HSE »

The IPSC2 back end automatically populates and pistar grabs the file daily, so if it's not in your list of servers (I will add its not listed in any of my hotspots but one that I manually added.

It's possible that this list is not updated daily as I was to assume, not sure but I'm sure that others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VK3VM

Post by VK3VM »

Ok folks,

I was hoping to draw out some of the reputable pistar designers.... But I will post the INTERIM SOLUTION myself. At your own risk though !

- Become the root (sudo su)
- Make the file system read-write (rpi-rw)
- Change into the /usr/local/etc directory
- Edit the file DMR_Hosts.txt

[ This next step should perhaps be done as a custom ... but from my experience it can be added below the current bottom which is for DMR+_IPSC2-USA-MN2 as at 16:06 2019-06-18 UTC]

-Add (and try to match the formatting of the entry above it):

DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT 177333 103.93.139.199 PASSWORD 55555

- Save
- REboot the Rpi

When you re-enter the configuration screen you should now see the entry for DMR+_IPSC2-VKHOTSPOT !

That should stop "the sky falling in" for many in the VK community. As I stated I was trying to draw this solution from a pistar maintainer in order to avoid the grizzles and moans... so no attacking this messenger please. Again I restate the disclaimer that this is only interim until the pistar's hostfile update systems can properly deliver the information from the updated VK DMR-MARC environ.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

That's almost the right way to do it, except that your info will be overridden the next time Pi-Star is updated, either via the automatic overnight method or via a manual update. To get around that, you can add the info manually to the override hosts file in the /root directory. Once you've done that, you can run a regular Pi-Star Update and your changes will get appended to the actual hosts file.
  1. Log into Pi-Star via SSH.
  2. Enable read-write mode: rpi-rw
  3. Switch user so that you're in root's home directory (/root) with root's privileges: sudo su -
  4. Edit the DMR_Hosts.txt (the filename, including capitalization, must be exact).
  5. Write out your changes and exit the editor.
  6. Re-enable read-only mode: rpi-ro
  7. Run a Pi-Star update that your override changes get appended to the hosts file in /usr/local/etc: sudo pistar-update
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

Edit: The post prior to this beat me to the same answer!

VK3VM wrote: - Change into the /usr/local/etc directory
- Edit the file DMR_Hosts.txt
The only thing I'd do differently would be to insert that into /root/DMR_Hosts.txt because that way it won't be overwritten with the daily update, but be appended to the end of the list (so it will be at the bottom of the drop down menu) and then once the VK listing eventually becomes available you can then remove or commet out the /root/DMR_Hosts.txt entry (put a # at the beginning of the entry)

And yes the rumours circulating are certainly not helpful!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VK3VM

Post by VK3VM »

Hi Folks,

The method here provides the path of least resistance to any pi-star updates that will be forthcoming. The objective here is for the changes to be written over by the daily updates (and I should have made that clearer :-)).

When changes are written over by the daily updates it will indicate stability and confidence in these servers and settings in our VK network :-)

KISS - keep it simple (for the stupid) in the long run !

So thanks for the comments Toshen and Scott.

The only thing that I should add is that you should replicate the line exactly... Do not delimit entries with spaces. it is perhaps better to cut and insert in a line from a working entry above it and then directly edit over the old data in order to preserve tab delimitation.

Steve I
VK2MK

Post by VK2MK »

Steve
the IP address you have for the server in your description of how to edit the hosts file has a typo - 103.93.139.199 should be 103.93.139.188

Jim