Newbie: DVMEGA Dualband receive question

Help with DMR issues
KC2HRG

Newbie: DVMEGA Dualband receive question

Post by KC2HRG »

First off I tried looking for this elsewhere, but couldn't find it.
I have configured a hot spot for use in the US on a BM_United_States_3102 link using Color code 1
I'm using 431.075 for my frequency and the hot spot is configured to be simplex.

When I PTT using an Anytone 868, I see my call (KC2HRG) come up on the hot spot dashboard and everything seems normal.
I do not hear anybody returning to me on the hotspot. I happen to have the radio programmed for the NY/NJ metro talk group and have confirmed that the radio is indeed transmitting (simplex) on the frequency I assigned to my hot spot.

Any ideas why I'm not receiving? Also is there a need to key (PTT) the hot spot to get it into receive mode; is there a timeout, or a configuration setting- etc, that I may have missed?

Thank you in advance,
Rocky (KC2HRG)
AF6VN

Re: Newbie: DVMEGA Dualband receive question

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:25 am If you want to set static groups, you'll need to signup for an account on BM, then go into BM self care and you can set static groups that your hotspot will listen to all the time. There some kind of priority that I haven't ever seen explained, but basically the last talkgroup you transmitted on has the highest priority, and how it figures out to listen to other groups you have in the static list I haven't figured out yet.
Unless they've made another change, for a simplex hotspot, the last used non-static talk group "latches" (pseudo-static) and does not time out (duplex/repeaters time out any dynamic group). Until they others time-out, one might receive traffic from any of the dynamic groups, or from any configured static groups.

My suggestion is to configure light-traffic but high-priority talk groups as static; that way if something pops up on one, it will be forwarded to the hotspot (I have both Mi 5 Statewide groups set static, while US Nationwide [3100] is pseudo-static/dynamic while listening normally).

On the radio, I have "channels"* defined for the the Mi 5 groups, 3100, and about 20 others. Not only are these placed into the same zone (well, two zones as the MD-390 can only have 16 channels in a zone), but I place them (or the relevant TG contact, forget which is used) in the same RECEIVE GROUP LIST (and the channels are defined to share the group list). Using a group list means that I can be on the 3100 "channel" but if traffic pops up on MI 5 Statewide 1, I will hear it. The radio will identify the talk group, and if I wish the participate I can then quickly dial up the proper channel.

* For the OP, just in case they are fairly new to it, a DMR channel is the combination of FREQUENCY [tx&rx], COLOR CODE, TIME SLOT, and CONTACT/TALK GROUP. To use two different talk groups via the hotspot means creating two different "channels" that are identical except for the talk group contact.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE0FHS

Re: Newbie: DVMEGA Dualband receive question

Post by KE0FHS »

Hi Rocky,

When you transmit, have you noticed in the Pi-Star dashboard whether your BER is above 1%? If it is, you might need to adjust your RXOffset, which is pretty commonly needed with some radio/modem boards and DMR radios:
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-n ... #tuningber
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm