[DXMini] How Do You Turn Off NET Hang Time

Help with DMR issues
KB0OXD

[DXMini] How Do You Turn Off NET Hang Time

Post by KB0OXD »

Hi guys

Just bought a DXMini & am wondering what setting(s) do I adjust in Pi-Star whereas TG's I connect to remain STATIC rather dynamic & time out after a short period of time

I ask because since my tytera MD-380 won't decode any of the other modes, I see no reason why I can't just keep DMR open for static connections to talkgroups as I'm only running on simplex & not on a repeater anyway

If you don't know what a DXMini is, check it out HERE :D

I have a feeling the answer is rather simple & right under my nose though :D lol

Thanks for the help & I look forward to the replies :D

Cheers & 73 :D
KE0FHS

Re: [DXMini] How Do You Turn Off NET Hang Time

Post by KE0FHS »

When you link to a BrandMeister talkgroup with a simplex hotspot, the talkgroup becomes auto=static, so the connection doesn't drop. If you want to set more than one BrandMeister talkgroup static, you can do that via BrandMeister SelfCare.

For more info, see this doc I wrote: https://amateurradionotes.com/auto-static.htm
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KB0OXD

Post by KB0OXD »

Ohh---IC

So even though my browser defaults back to a 20 second NHT in the Pi-Star Configuration, it really isn't that way after transmitting on the TG

I'll be sure to double-check the BM SelfCare to make sure things are properly set there too as I've been going through repeaters before getting (What I hope!) is MY LAST Hotspot (Those things ARE NOT cheap for someone on a fixed income like I am :o )

Cheers & 73 :D

Pat, KB0OXD
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KB0OXD wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:05 pm Just bought a DXMini & am wondering what setting(s) do I adjust in Pi-Star whereas TG's I connect to remain STATIC rather dynamic & time out after a short period of time

I ask because since my tytera MD-380 won't decode any of the other modes, I see no reason why I can't just keep DMR open for static connections to talkgroups as I'm only running on simplex & not on a repeater anyway
Static vs dynamic talkgroups is independent of the net and RF hang time.

Pi-Star hang time is used to control how long the Pi-Star software stays on a mode after the last transmission in that mode. IE: how long to ignore other modes that are also configured at the same time. If you only have DMR active in the configuration it doesn't matter as "Listening" will only be sampling for a DMR signal (when multiple modes are active, the "Listening" state has to attempt each protocol to recognize the signal mode).

As mentioned, on BrandMeister, for hotspots (repeaters are treated differently) the last used dynamic talkgroup becomes pseudo-static; it will not time-out by itself. If you activate another dynamic talkgroup, the new one becomes pseudo-static, and the old one will then time out after something like 15 minutes. Groups set as static on BM will never time out, and traffic on them will always be forwarded to the hotspot (so it may be best to only make low-traffic groups static -- a high traffic group could lock you out of getting traffic on a dynamic group).

If using static groups, the radio should probably be configured with all commonly used groups (static and dynamic) in a receive group list -- that way, regardless of which group/channel the radio is on, traffic on other active groups will be heard (and the radio should identify the group so you can, if desired, change channel to the one configured for the group).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber