Not receiving signal

Help with DMR issues
M6KFR

Not receiving signal

Post by M6KFR »

I am using a raspberry pi hot spot thro a tyt380 and up until recently it worked fine
I had a couple of weeks away from " hamming" and on my return I found that my transmit showed up on my pistar dash I wasn't getting any signal back
I've been told that BM Selfcare now require a password to be set ? ??
I've searched the forum and have ended up totally confused.
Could someone please tell me either a link that explains a pi-star Brand Meistersinger set up or explain what is needed to be done if passwords are now needed and where I should find the location where to set the passwords
As you can guess I'm new to DMR and simply want to connect to a chatty talk group
Any advice will be gratefully received
73' M6KFR Gordon
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Not receiving signal

Post by M1DNS »

Go to the admin/expert page and click live logs. My guess is the log will report your not connecting to the server. A few weeks back the UK server changed its access password. You can edit the changes to the password in admin/expert dmrgateway, by changing the password shown there in the BM section from passw1rd to passw0rd (using a zero) Or simply run an update and it should solve the issue.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M6KFR

Post by M6KFR »

Thank you Andrew
I tried your solution but I still cannot get a return signal
I can transmit, it shows up, but still no return
Could you tell me what the 'generic' setting for BM reflectors are if I wish to connect up to let's say TG92 ?
I would be grateful for any advice
Gordon
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

M6KFR wrote:Thank you Andrew
I tried your solution but I still cannot get a return signal
I can transmit, it shows up, but still no return
Could you tell me what the 'generic' setting for BM reflectors are if I wish to connect up to let's say TG92 ?
I would be grateful for any advice
Gordon
First you have to establish a connection with a BM server. Try changing to the Ireland or Danish server. Users in the FB group are still saying they're having issues connecting with the UK master.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M6KFR

Post by M6KFR »

Capture 4.JPG
Capture 4.JPG (89.47 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 3.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG (129.69 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
Capture 4.JPG
Capture 4.JPG (89.47 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 3.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG (129.69 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
Hi after reading a mass of information and watching numerous video.s and with a fellow ham,My setup is to say the least a failure. I thought to send in some screen shots showing the chaos my DMR pi-star set up has become.Yes the BER Is high but i can tweak that later.
My system worked a treat (along with my DStar and YSFhotspots all seperate units different frequencies) But since V4of pi-starwas updated chaos.. As you can see DMR has gone to pot.
Can some kind person suggest where I'm going wrong....yes i KNOW..Where do you start !.
can someone suggest ref settings active ref default ref etc...
It's alot I know but i would appreciate the help and advice
Gordon M6KFR
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Hi Gordon, there are many steps you can take to start troubleshooting.
  1. Make sure Pi-Star is up to date. You should be on Pi-Star Upgrade Version 4.1.0-RC6 (I can't tell what version you're on since all of your screen captures cut off the top right corner of the Pi-Star dashboard where that info is displayed). Be sure you are using 4.1.x and not 4.0.x, since 4.0.x was deprecated half a year ago.
  2. Make sure you are on Pi-Star Update Version 20191112. From the BrandMeister Hotspot info, it looks like you're several months out of date.
  3. It looks like you're running a standard MMDVM_HS_Hat radio/modem board. If that's true, your firmware, v1.3.7, is extremely out of date. That version was released in May 2018. Since then, there have been nine releases, some of them with quite critical updates. The current version is v1.4.17.
  4. As several others have said, set up a BrandMeister Hotspot Security password: http://wiki.pistar.uk/Pi-Star_Brandmeis ... t_Security
  5. Clean up your static talkgroup list. I'd suggest you completely delete all your static talkgroups, then do your testing with a talkgroup you know is busy. Only once you have solved your issue, then you can start adding back some static talkgroups, but my recommendation is that you keep your your static list to just a few talkgroups at the most.
  6. Even though you shared many, many screen captures, you didn't show your Pi-Star Configuration settings, so it's impossible to know what your setup is. Maybe you're already doing this, but keep things simple during troubleshooting: in the DMR Configuration section, don't use DMRGateway; instead, select an actual DMR Master, and during testing, try a different BrandMeister DMR Master than the one you've been using, just in case there is some problem with that one.
  7. And you're right, you really need to solve your BER problem. Sooner would be better than later.
Last edited by KE0FHS on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
M6KFR

Post by M6KFR »

Many Thanks Toshen
I can see I have alot to learn with DMR, I'll start with your procedures, I did let my hobby slip for the summer, this I regret.
Whilst there is alot of information re DMR for a newbee like myself. its very confusing !!.
Still nothing ventured nothing gained.
Thanks to those who gave time and advice, its appreciated
Gordon M6KFR
M6KFR

Post by M6KFR »

Toshen I carried out the 'to do' list,I tried removing ALL T.G. but two TG93 TG83 Refuse to be shifted, I have set passwords as suggested, altered passw1rd to passw0rd did API. The first live log shows BM closed to me but the second seems to have let it thro ? I can see my ptt coming thro but still no transmission back, i double checked my HT Settings they are o.k. I had more screen shots but was only allowed to post these ?[attachment=2]CaptureNOV3.JPG
CaptureNOV5.JPG
CaptureNOV5.JPG (48.05 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
CaptureNOV5.JPG
CaptureNOV3.JPG
CaptureNOV3.JPG (117.12 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
Any ideas? do you need more shots
Gordon M6KFR
Attachments
CaptureNOV4.JPG
CaptureNOV4.JPG (72.53 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
M6KFR

Post by M6KFR »

CaptureNOV6.JPG
CaptureNOV6.JPG (36.11 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
CaptureNOV2.JPG
CaptureNOV2.JPG (42.3 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
Capture01.JPG
Capture01.JPG (119.16 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
Extra screen shots hope they help.
Gordon M6KFR
M6KFR

Post by M6KFR »

CaptureNOV7.JPG
CaptureNOV7.JPG (128.22 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
Capture NOV.JPG
Capture NOV.JPG (85.29 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
Even more xtra screen shots hope they help.

Gordon M6KFR