Offset issues

Help with DMR issues
G0XTL

Offset issues

Post by G0XTL »

Hi all.
Have been struggling to get my tytera 390 (non gps) to connect to my "jumbo" hotspot.
Finally got around the wifi connections so moving forward I got to trying to connect from the radio.
Set the offsets to 199, put the radio on frequency, picked the parrot tg9990 to try it and it worked!
However, no returning audio. Noticed the BER was 1.5 so tweaked the offsets to 191 with BER of 1.1 but still no returning audio. A little more tweaking and it loses the tg and nothing I can do will get it to connect again.
Ran the calibration in ssh to calculate the ofsett which suggests 325 but nothing. Been up and down and round and round but no further connection.
Any suggestions?
It is still on the original version of pi-star, tried flashing an up date to another sd card but no luck - which version is right for this hotspot?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Offset issues

Post by M1DNS »

Parrot is not a talkgroup tg9990
it's a private call.
PC 9990.

thats why ur hearing no audio. theres noone else on that tg. (or at least there shouldn't be )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G0XTL

Post by G0XTL »

M1DNS wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:57 pm Parrot is not a talkgroup tg9990
it's a private call.
PC 9990.

thats why ur hearing no audio.
OK, that is fine, I was only expecting my own audio to be returned but had none.
The greater issue is not connecting to it since the minor adjustment in the offset, returning to 199 makes no difference and there is no indication of an offset on or in the device.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

If you connect to 9990 via a private call thatll def. give you the parrot. As said it isnt a tg or groupcall.

Often the offset labels printed on the boards are never the real offset value anyways. Most just print a generic 500 offset.

You can use mmdvmcal to find ur specific offset, by using piatar-mmdvmcal.

I'd suggest googling it. As it's quite the thing to write up off the top of ur head.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

Link to a handy MMDVMCAL how-to in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1309&p=5410&hilit=mmdvmcal#p5410
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
G0XTL

Post by G0XTL »

M1DNS wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:58 am You can use mmdvmcal to find ur specific offset, by using piatar-mmdvmcal.
G0XTL wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 pm
Ran the calibration in ssh to calculate the ofsett which suggests 325 but nothing. Been up and down and round and round but no further connection.
Been there, done that several times with no success.

I do want to update it but which of these downloads (if any) do I need?
Images available to Download
Pi-Star_NanoPi_Air_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_NanoPi_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_Odroid_XU4_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_OrangePi_Zero_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_RPi_V3.4.17_20-Jan-2019.zip
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

What have you "been there, done that many times"? ur reply is z little confusing, as What ur listing above is the pistar images available for the various SBC's.
Even if you update you'll still need to fix the offset for best BER.

But,
You'll pick the one that pertains to the SBC hardware you are using.

If you have a raspberry pi use the rasp pi image.
If you own a orange pi use the orange pi image.

If ur not using the most current release, for the version of pistar you have on the sd card.
Use the update and upgrade commands (or links on the dashboard expert page) to move up to the latest in that series.

It would help if you mention what SBC you have there. In some cases later revisions of a SBC require specific releases of pistar.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G0XTL

Post by G0XTL »

I have run the calibration many times and it always seems to come up with an offset of around 325. yesterday it returned an offset of 185 but that doesn't work or anywhere near it. Also did an update on it.
This morning I have come in and switched the PC and jumbospot on and a few minutes later the radio.
Tried the radio and it connected, BER 1.2% for 3.6 seconds
Tried again a second or two later .....nothing. Tried another group.... nothing. Back to 9990....nothing.

It is driving me mad :evil:
This morning
This morning
pistar 1.PNG (49.08 KiB) Viewed 4969 times