How does a DMR hotspot or repeater station legally ID?

Help with DMR issues
N6PL

How does a DMR hotspot or repeater station legally ID?

Post by N6PL »

Since DMR does not support an amateur radio callsign ID within the datastream how does a DMR station legally ID? I believe that even a 10 mw output still requires ID?

And while the issue could perhaps be overlooked for a very low power device what would one do if you wanted to employ a real radio and more power (to support an extended range simplex node) that would have enough coverage to require a real legal ID, or of course in the case of a repeater? I would guess there is some option to provide this in either Pi-Star of MMDVM firmware although I have not been able to find it, nor have I actually heard a DMR repeater ID (not that it's fun to listen to a DMR channel.) Also when an ID occurs (presumably in CW?) is the DMR datastream interrupted for that period of time?

Sorry if this is a basic or obvious question, just can't seem to find an answer by searching.

Thanks
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: How does a DMR hotspot or repeater station legally ID?

Post by M1DNS »

Mmdvm has a feature where an id can be sent as a fm modulated cw identifier. It was implemented when questions like this started to get asked. It's only audible on fm not digital but it's there if you need it.

Although in UK regs a digital asset doesn't need to id in the traditional sense of cw or fm. Given the id can be seen at the end of the rx chain.

There a similar post currently running in the pistar general support forum asking if talker alias satisfies the US requirement of identification, you might want to visit that one also.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
N6PL

Post by N6PL »

Out-of-band (since DMR does not transit call signs) station ID is a legal concern in the US, perhaps only theoretical for a 10 mw hotspot but would be a matter to consider for a repeater or base station with significant ERP. I have found MMDVM documentation on an CW ID option, just curious what the standard practice was in the US since so far I haven't actually heard any stations with ID.
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

As Andrew mentioned....there is a cw Id function. Enable it, and you will then be legal.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.