How do I tell Brandmeister I have a hotspot? (New guy)

Help with DMR issues
WD8CIV

How do I tell Brandmeister I have a hotspot? (New guy)

Post by WD8CIV »

Hello folks.

I just set up an MMDVM hotspot last week and I'd like it to quit sending position updates to APRS-IS. From another thread on the forum I saw that you can use Brandmeister's self-care page to enter a setting to do that. I registered as a user on Brandmeister's web site but it doesn't seem to realize that I have a hotspot. It does recognize my CCS7 ID however.

Am I missing a step?
WD8CIV

Re: How do I tell Brandmeister I have a hotspot? (New guy)

Post by WD8CIV »

Thanks! I tried your suggestions and I keep seeing these in the DMR_Master log:

M: 2020-03-03 23:20:41.581 BM_United_States_3102, Opening DMR Network
E: 2020-03-03 23:21:51.643 BM_United_States_3102, Connection to the master has timed out, retrying connection
M: 2020-03-03 23:21:51.643 BM_United_States_3102, Closing DMR Network

There was what looked like a successful connection right after I changed the settings, but it eventually timed out and started throwing these timeout messages every minute or so.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Try 3101. It's a lot closer to you.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
VK3HAW

Post by VK3HAW »

WD8CIV wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:48 pm Hello folks.

I just set up an MMDVM hotspot last week and I'd like it to quit sending position updates to APRS-IS.
From APRS.fi it looks like you are sending positions from radio for WD8CIV-9 and WD8CIV-10. For "-B" and "-N", it appears they derive from D-Star and YSF. Not quite sure about "-3".
APRS.jpg
APRS.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
WD8CIV wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:48 pm
I registered as a user on Brandmeister's web site but it doesn't seem to realize that I have a hotspot. It does recognize my CCS7 ID however.
Ensure that the callsign you use in Pi-Star Configuration "General Configuration" and "DMR Configuration" for BrandMeister Network ESSID match exactly, and that your callsign is also a match in your Brandmeister login.
CSS7 DMR ID.jpg
CSS7 DMR ID.jpg (5.51 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
Hope this might help
Edit: Further it appears that WD8CIV-3 is being transmitted by an iGate run by DireWolf
-3.jpg
-3.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
WD8CIV

Post by WD8CIV »

I've been running APRS for ten+ years. WD8CIV-3 is the receive-only Direwolf IGate at my home. -9 is my car, and -10 is my motorcycle. -N and -B seem to be related to my hotspot. But that's why I want to be able to change some settings on Brandmeister, so I can tell it to quit sending those position updates to APRS-IS.
VK3HAW

Post by VK3HAW »

WD8CIV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:15 am -N and -B seem to be related to my hotspot. But that's why I want to be able to change some settings on Brandmeister, so I can tell it to quit sending those position updates to APRS-IS.
Yes my friend, you are right.

However:
-N.jpg
-N.jpg (17.36 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
-B.jpg
-B.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
So the issue of the postions being sent seems to be with D-STAR, ircDDBGateway and (I assume) your Pi-Star hotspot.

The issue of logging on to brandmeister.network is separate and unrelated, and it will not resolve this issue of positions being sent from your hotspot.
Cheers
Stephen

Edit: In contrast to the above, this is my DPRS sent from DMR radio via Brandmeister
me.jpg
me.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Possibly disabling

aprsEnabled

from the http://pi-star-3b/admin/expert/edit_ircddbgateway.php (substitute your host name)

That's the ONLY "expert mode" edit page that has APRS entries that I could find.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:38 pm Maybe that is what is doing it since it doesn't appear that his hotspot has ever successfully connected to a BM server.
Based upon the OP's first post (and some subsequent responses), I suspect they don't even own a DMR radio... They did a forum search for APRS and found a reference to Brandmeister's APRS sending -- and proceeded to confuse everything by focusing on something not applicable to their configuration.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
VK3HAW

Post by VK3HAW »

It seems "Brandmeister" was obviously confused with "Pi-Star"
WD8CIV

Post by WD8CIV »

AF6VN wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:00 pm Based upon the OP's first post (and some subsequent responses), I suspect they don't even own a DMR radio... They did a forum search for APRS and found a reference to Brandmeister's APRS sending -- and proceeded to confuse everything by focusing on something not applicable to their configuration.
In my first post, I was asking how to log into the Brandmeister system to change a setting. That the setting affected APRS behavior wasn't the issue. The issue was that Brandmeister did not seem to recognize that I had a hotspot, and that's why I was looking for help. I appreciate most of the other forum members' efforts to help, but they were trying to help with an APRS problem, not the Brandmeister issue.

I do own a DMR radio. I've never been able to connect to a BM talkgroup with it via my hotspot. (Until today, but that's a different story.)