Newbie post: configuring DMR on ZUMSpot

Help with DMR issues
M5KVK

Re: Newbie post: configuring DMR on ZUMSpot

Post by M5KVK »

AF6VN wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:08 pm
That capability has nothing to do with Pi-Star... You'll need to read the manual for your radio and maybe also some general documentation of how DMR itself operates ...
Thanks. I guess I'm in a chicken/egg situation here. I am not able to reach any DMR repeaters from my home QTH, so the only way I'll get on to DMR is through a hotspot. I know how DMR works, but have no way to prove the radio is set up properly if I can't get into the DMR network: which requires the hotspot to be working. The manual is, as you indicate, written for a total numpty who only needs to switch the radio on and press buttons.

No worries. I'll get it sorted out somehow. Maybe I'll write it up so that others can get started with a new radio and hotspot: because I've failed to find anything like that on the net so far.
73, Gareth - M5KVK
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

M5KVK wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:00 am
Thanks. I guess I'm in a chicken/egg situation here. I am not able to reach any DMR repeaters from my home QTH, so the only way I'll get on to DMR is through a hotspot. I know how DMR works, but have no way to prove the radio is set up properly if I can't get into the DMR network: which requires the hotspot to be working. The manual is, as you indicate, written for a total numpty who only needs to switch the radio on and press buttons.

No worries. I'll get it sorted out somehow. Maybe I'll write it up so that others can get started with a new radio and hotspot: because I've failed to find anything like that on the net so far.
You could always drive to Caxton Gibbet or slightly further east and see if you can work through GB7PY, that would give you the option of confirming that the radio is set up correctly.
--

Brian G8SEZ
M5KVK

Post by M5KVK »

G8SEZ wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:32 pm
You could always drive to Caxton Gibbet or slightly further east and see if you can work through GB7PY, that would give you the option of confirming that the radio is set up correctly.
I know the radio itself is working, because I have used it through PY; just not from home. It's getting the right channels for the hotspot that's the issue. I've got it working on BM now, so I am making progress. Just need to set up some Phoenix channels.
73, Gareth - M5KVK
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

M5KVK wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:01 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:32 pm
I know the radio itself is working, because I have used it through PY; just not from home. It's getting the right channels for the hotspot that's the issue. I've got it working on BM now, so I am making progress. Just need to set up some Phoenix channels.
Have you seen this?

http://www.dmr-uk.net/index.php/layout/
--

Brian G8SEZ