Newbie post: configuring DMR on ZUMSpot

Help with DMR issues
M5KVK

Newbie post: configuring DMR on ZUMSpot

Post by M5KVK »

Hi All
I've recently bought a ZumSpot as I want to try out various DV modes but am not in range of any physical repeaters. I set it up OK for D-STAR: a mode I am fairly OK with, but now I want to configure my TYT MD-UV380 DMR radio and Pi-Star.

Most regional DMR repeaters around here are on Phoenix, so I want to be able to connect to TG1, TG235, TG840 etc.

I assume I need to connect to a Phoenix or DMR-MARC master, but when I look in the DMR config, all I see for masters are Brandmeister, DMR+, HB (Hubnet?) and a few singletons.

Is there an idiots guide somewhere? I am not good at following YouTube videos I'm afraid: I far prefer text. However, if that's all there is, and provided it is relevant, I'll give it a go.

73, Gareth - M5KVK
73, Gareth - M5KVK
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Newbie post: configuring DMR on ZUMSpot

Post by M1DNS »

Use server DMR+ IPSC2 Phoenix F.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M5KVK

Post by M5KVK »

Thanks, Andrew
In this case, do I link to 235 or 4400 for UK Calling? (Looking at the status, it looks like 4400 is not linked to 235 anymore)
73, Gareth - M5KVK
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

I guess that depends if ur linking with reflectors or Tg.

I don't use DMR+ that often, but one of my installs uses dmrgateway. so for me all connections there were reflector based.
As I'm using tg8 for talk through.
As I don't make extensive use of that particular network I've never had the need to set it up as a straight server connection, with any of my other installs using it's native TG's.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M5KVK

Post by M5KVK »

M1DNS wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:04 pm

I don't use DMR+ that often, but one of my installs uses dmrgateway. so for me all connections there were reflector based.
As I'm using tg8 for talk through.
As I don't make extensive use of that particular network I've never had the need to set it up as a straight server connection, with any of my other installs using it's native TG's.
This may be another area of ignorance on my part, but around here most repeaters are on Phoenix. So, wouldn't I also want to use Phoenix (I understood that BM 840 is a different TG from Phoenix 840, and not connected)
73, Gareth - M5KVK
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Dmr gateway gives me the ability to connect with upto 5 instances across different network providers.

So if e.g.. Your using the new dyntgrewrites you'll use tg9 to talk on BM

You'll use reflector links with DMR+ using tg8

And use tg6 to talk through on XLX

In addition you can use tg7...... to crossmode to YSF reflectors.

If you select a single server entry (not Dmrgateway) you'll be using TG's. or maybe DMR+ supports reflector (private dial) linking as well.

As said I don't go there often and when I do it's using one particular install running Dmrgateway and havnt found a need to change to using anything else.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
g6fgy

Post by g6fgy »

Most of the Phoenix national & regional TG's are accessible using reflectors on a hotspot via the DMR+ server at IPSC2-PhoenixF. A list of TG's available can be found here: http://www.dmr-uk.net/index.php/layout/

Use is by doing a manual dial (Private Call) via your hotspot to the required reflector. A recent update to the IPSC2 servers now provides direct access to the relevant TG by using manual dial, this time as a Group Call. See the entries marked with ** on the above page.

Hope this helps.

ps: TG235 is linked to reflector 4400, so ignore the comment you saw. There was a time when there was misuse of the link and it had to be removed, but has since been restored, it's just that the info hasn't been updated.
M5KVK

Post by M5KVK »

M1DNS wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:15 am So if e.g.. Your using the new dyntgrewrites you'll use tg9 to talk on BM
Hey, did I say I'm a newbie? That sentence meant absolutely nothing to me. :-)
73, Gareth - M5KVK
M5KVK

Post by M5KVK »

g6fgy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 pm
Use is by doing a manual dial (Private Call) via your hotspot to the required reflector. A recent update to the IPSC2 servers now provides direct access to the relevant TG by using manual dial, this time as a Group Call. See the entries marked with ** on the above page.
Woosh! Straight over my head :-)
73, Gareth - M5KVK
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M5KVK wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:48 pm
g6fgy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 pm
Woosh! Straight over my head :-)
That capability has nothing to do with Pi-Star... You'll need to read the manual for your radio and maybe also some general documentation of how DMR itself operates (take into account that DMR originated as a /digital business-band radio/ [the type licensed to construction and security companies -- possibly leased from a company that also runs repeaters -- business licensees often do not have access to programming software, the company providing the radios would configure the code-plug for talk groups and user/private calls unique to the leasing company so they don't conflict with other companies also leasing from that provider], superseding analog VHF/UHF business band radios)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber