Linking to a Phoenix Reflector - How?

Help with DMR issues
M5KVK

Linking to a Phoenix Reflector - How?

Post by M5KVK »

I managed to get my 380 to talk to Phoenix reflector 4440, but I don't think I had it set up correctly. I had a Group Call to 4440, but each time I spoke, I lost the beginning of the other side's over because I was getting a linking message on TG 9 (which was in my Rx Group).

Based on discussions elsewhere, I did the following:

. Changed the digital contact definition for 4440 to be a Private Call.
. Initiated a call to 4440 by selecting 4440 and pressing PTT
. Changing to TG9 and continuing the QSO from there.

I got no response using this strategy. Of course this could be because there was nobody monitoring 4440/TG840.

Is my approach correct?
73, Gareth - M5KVK
AF6VN

Re: Linking to a Phoenix Reflector - How?

Post by AF6VN »

If using a hotspot, your simplest approach would be to configure a channel for each talk group you may be interested in, and skip trying to use reflectors (Phoenix may still be supporting them, but Brandmeister US discontinued reflectors years ago, and reports are that the rest of Brandmeister will discontinue reflector usage by the end of the year).

Have you looked at http://www.dmr-uk.net/index.php/layout/ NOTE: with most hotspots, everything goes through on time slot 2
Talkgroups marked ** are also available directly as Talkgroups from hotspots via the DMR+ IPSC2 PhoenixF server (accessed as a ‘Group Call’ not ‘Private Call’)
- - - TG840 ** 4440 REGIONAL : EAST OF ENGLAND
How is that TG9 channel configured in your radio? Presuming Phoenix supports reflector usage with hotspots, you'll need to be time slot 2.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M5KVK

Post by M5KVK »

Thanks, Dennis

I'll have to noodle that a bit and get my head around it.

TG09 is configured as a Group Call.
73, Gareth - M5KVK
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M5KVK wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:52 pm TG09 is configured as a Group Call.
TIME SLOT?

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
g6fgy

Post by g6fgy »

Phoenix, via the DMR+ server (IPSC2-PhoenixF) on your hotspot, does indeed provide for reflector access to much of the UK network, especially the regional groups.

Access to reflectors is best done by using the manual dial facility (set as private call) on your radio with the radio set to tx/rx on your hotspot via TG9.

A relatively new facility is the ability to call into the relevent TG directly. Using the same method as above, but this time the manual dial setting must be for group call.

For the older radios without the ability to manually select a group call via manual dial, the easiest way is to set up a specific channel in your hotspot zone in the same way as you would for a standard repeater, with the required TG set as the contact.

For the tecnically minded, the difference between group calls and private calls when used in this manner, is the way the data is processed by the IPSC2 server. Generally speaking, when set up correctly, the group call routing information (TG840 in this example) must be sent with each transmission (PTT press) so that the network knows where to route it.

With a private call however, the server is programmed to recognise this and sets up a semi-permanent path to the required destination (4440). This only needs to be sent once, usually by using the manual dial facility to select the required reflector. The server responds with a 'connected to ...' courtesy announcement to let you know that the voice path has been set. If that information is sent each time the PTT is pressed, by having it set up as a private call channel in the radio for example, then yes you'll probably still route to your required destination, but the server will reset the route and tell you it has done so by way of the courtesy announcement.
M5KVK

Post by M5KVK »

AF6VN wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 am
M5KVK wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:52 pm TG09 is configured as a Group Call.
TIME SLOT?
Everything is TS2
73, Gareth - M5KVK
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

I saw your call in the TG840/Ref 4440 heard list yesterday.

It appears to be working to some degree.
--

Brian G8SEZ