Duplex Hotspot Disconnect

Help with DMR issues
Ae4g

Re: Duplex Hotspot Disconnect

Post by Ae4g »

KD8DVR wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:14 pm You can issue a disconnect on an active timeslot with a duplex hotspot....at least in my experience.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
KD8DVR,

What firmware version are you running? I'm using 1.4.17
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

This is on the DV groups.io list, the replacement for the MMDVM Yahoo group, posted by Chris F5VMR/G4NAB

"Yes of course the disconnect works on a duplex hotspot. It is in fact a micro repeater after all, despite the lack of attachment of true radios/transceivers. There are provisos however.
Firstly on either slot, the channel has to be momentarily unoccupied otherwise the tg4000 call will be refused.
Secondly to be assured that your tg4000 call is successful on slot 2, I recommend that on either your channel in use or on the calling group, you have a RxGroup list of TG 9 only, so that having send a TG4000 call you can hear the server acknowledgement "not linked" on BrandMeister or 'not connected' on DMR +.
However, though on slot 1 a TG4000 call does work, there is no server acknowledgement."

I'm not sure I understand exactly what he means by 'momentarily unoccupied', but maybe the comment about TG9-only Rx grouplist is a hint that actually the hotspot has to switch to a different logical transmission. Maybe the MMDVM code plus HAT firmware doesn't allow for that.
--

Brian G8SEZ
Ae4g

Post by Ae4g »

G8SEZ wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:23 pm This is on the DV groups.io list, the replacement for the MMDVM Yahoo group, posted by Chris F5VMR/G4NAB

"Yes of course the disconnect works on a duplex hotspot. It is in fact a micro repeater after all, despite the lack of attachment of true radios/transceivers. There are provisos however.
Firstly on either slot, the channel has to be momentarily unoccupied otherwise the tg4000 call will be refused.
Secondly to be assured that your tg4000 call is successful on slot 2, I recommend that on either your channel in use or on the calling group, you have a RxGroup list of TG 9 only, so that having send a TG4000 call you can hear the server acknowledgement "not linked" on BrandMeister or 'not connected' on DMR +.
However, though on slot 1 a TG4000 call does work, there is no server acknowledgement."

I'm not sure I understand exactly what he means by 'momentarily unoccupied', but maybe the comment about TG9-only Rx grouplist is a hint that actually the hotspot has to switch to a different logical transmission. Maybe the MMDVM code plus HAT firmware doesn't allow for that.
Thanks Brian. I am the one that posted the question yesterday to the groups.io mailing list.

I understand parts of that reply, but not others. I’m also not 100% sure my question was understood. My hotspot does disconnect when the channel is “momentarily unoccupied” of course. The question is: can I make it disconnect when it is occupied.

Some say they can, others say they can’t. I was hoping one of the MMDVM experts on that mailing list would chime in with an authoritative answer - hopefully one that not only answers the question, but also offers a clear explanation of why it does or doesn’t work.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

It would be nice to see a definitive answer, there *must* be someone on DV who knows.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

Ae4g wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:55 pm
KD8DVR wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:14 pm You can issue a disconnect on an active timeslot with a duplex hotspot....at least in my experience.

KD8DVR,

What firmware version are you running? I'm using 1.4.17
AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
Ae4g

Post by Ae4g »

KD8DVR wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:23 pm
Thanks for responding... I guess the firmware version isn't the answer.
zl1cts

Post by zl1cts »

Hi All

I recently got a duplex hotspot just for this disconnect while the room etc is busy, I have read all sorts and glad its not just me who thought you could.

I managed to get it to work a few times, I have a channel programmed with 4000, I key up and I can see the 4000 on the modem screen or in pi-star, the conversation carries on, but when the party stopped txing the TG dropped, this worked a couple of times but now stopped working at all. even more odd is I can now hear slot 2 conversations on slot 1.

so I am really confused with it all, like others have said it has been noted that a 4000 request should disconnect, but doesnt...

it in theory should work as the receiver is listening even while the tx is broadcasting activity from the TG, I'm still convinced I have overlooked something in my config or either the radio or pi-star

I am using a generic duplex board (with a 7mhz split between tx and rx) an md380 and alinco dmr handies

watching this thread with interest..

Cliff
ZL1CTS
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

KE7FNS wrote:
KC3PGU wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 pm this wouldn't work until i set the hotspot as 'repeater' in the programming software for the anytone 878
What do you mean? What setting are you talking about? Can you post a screen shot or something. I don't have anything that has "repeater" as an option.
He's talking about setting the *radio* to "repeater" setting in it's CPS, so the radio thinks its talking to a repeater....which is how the radio should be set.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

KC3PGU wrote:this wouldn't work until i set the hotspot as 'repeater' in the programming software for the anytone 878

why repeater? fuck if I know.

But if the hotspot on slot 2 is dynamic and people don't shut up, I can send a disconnect through timesloit one and it'll drop the talkgroup on TS2

why does this work? fuck if I know. :shock:
KC3PGU wrote:this wouldn't work until i set the hotspot as 'repeater' in the programming software for the anytone 878

why repeater? fuck if I know.

But if the hotspot on slot 2 is dynamic and people don't shut up, I can send a disconnect through timesloit one and it'll drop the talkgroup on TS2

why does this work? :shock:
Because a duplex hotspot is functions like a repeater. It requires the radio its communicating with to send a handshake signal to synch with it. Setting the radio to repeater mode provides this handshake. Common knowledge.

n2md

Post by n2md »

Did this issue ever get answered or solved?
This was also one of the functions I was seeking for my decision to go with a duplex board.