Lost Receive Periodically - ZUMspot

Help with DMR issues
W0PC

Lost Receive Periodically - ZUMspot

Post by W0PC »

Periodically, I loose the receive audio. I can see the red transmit light on the ZUMspot and hear the audio on Hoseline... by don't hear it on my TYT MD-380. The receive audio is ok most of the time... just drops out then pops back in. Any ideas? This issuer doesn't happen with my Openspot.
Rick
KB8AOB

Re: Lost Receive Periodically - ZUMspot

Post by KB8AOB »

I have the same equipment but no issues.
Two Questions:

What is the supporting CPU unit? Pi Model???
What is the Amp rating on the power supply used?
kj9b

Post by kj9b »

I notice similar issues with my ZumSpot. I have noticed this on both my CS750 and MD380. When both radios are side by side, listening to the ZumSpot at the same time, sometimes one will have audio, and one won't. Sometimes one, sometimes the other. Kind of frustrating.
Ken Bandy, KJ9B
K5OZ

Post by K5OZ »

Have found that the MD-380 needs a bit more deviation than other DMR radios. If your DMR TXLevel in mmdvm Host is at 50, up it to about 53 or 54 and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
W6AAX

Post by W6AAX »

In speaking with Jim, KI6ZUM last weekend, he suggested I post the issue with one these forums. Hope this the right place.
The Motorola XPR7550e DMR HT looses audio/mutes through the ZUMspot after approximately 40 seconds to one minute of receiving a station. Once the station unkeys and the next station starts transmitting, the audio returns but after short while the radio mutes again. Short transmissions seem to be unaffected and no issue through repeaters. Adjusting RX offset in Pi-Star does not fix the issue. No problem when a MD380 side by side with the XPR. The MD380 never loses audio but XPR7550e does once the radio approaches a little less then one minute of receiving.

This is an issue now reported by many users of this radio / ZUMspot combination.
af0mm

Post by af0mm »

Same issue here, zumspot is on frequency per the service monitor and deviation is within specs.
Radio with problem is Motorola xpr 7550, Anytone receives 100%.
KC9BUH

Post by KC9BUH »

Has anyone found a solution to the zpr7550 loss of receive audio?

"In speaking with Jim, KI6ZUM last weekend, he suggested I post the issue with one these forums. Hope this the right place.
The Motorola XPR7550e DMR HT looses audio/mutes through the ZUMspot after approximately 40 seconds to one minute of receiving a station. Once the station unkeys and the next station starts transmitting, the audio returns but after short while the radio mutes again. Short transmissions seem to be unaffected and no issue through repeaters. Adjusting RX offset in Pi-Star does not fix the issue. No problem when a MD380 side by side with the XPR. The MD380 never loses audio but XPR7550e does once the radio approaches a little less then one minute of receiving."
Thanks
kc9buh
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Given three users with the same Motorola variant, and no problems with other makes in parallel, one has to conclude there is nothing wrong with the Pi-Star system. Detailed studying of the Motorola manual and programming software, or directing queries to Motorola itself, may be required.

For those with multiple radios -- what happens if you configure both in "talk around" (simplex mode) and just PTT from one radio to the other? Does the Motorola still time-out when receiving direct from, say, an Anytone radio, without using the hotspot? (Actually, given that hotspots normally run half-duplex using a single frequency, the radios might talk to each other if one turns off the hotspot).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KJ7YWZ

Post by KJ7YWZ »

I'm a little late to this party, but let me add my 2-cents.
I've been in commercial two-way radio my entire life so I had little interest in amateur radio until I retired. My last 35 years were with a Motorola MSS and I had direct contact with Motorola in several ways. Our facility dealt with business, industrial, state & local government as well as federal agencies.

All to often, when dealing with issues with Motorola hardware & software, the official response could be; (a) they have no knowledge or reports of the issue, or (b) it's "working as designed" or (c) it's not economically feasible to pursue. Only some bugs get resolved.

When the XPR 7550 portables (original, not e version) became common, we became aware of reports regarding dropped RX audio. The reports were typically from a situation where several radios/operators are in a room & one radio drops the call or misses it completely. Our investigations never found any repeatable solid evidence & Motorola went with excuse (a), never been reported before even though we reported it many times from many customers.

So now, I got my ham general & built a hotspot. Lo & behold, my 7550 drops calls! I compared the 7550 RX with an XPR6550, a Uniden BCD436HP, DroidStar on my phone and BM Hoseline. Only the 7550 drops calls, and as mentioned, it's usually on the longer transmissions, over 40 seconds. In the commercial world I'm from, 95% of transmissions are 20 seconds or less. No wonder I never really encountered it personally before now.

I see it is now reported in the XPR7550e series. They were just getting wide usage when I retired in 2017 so I never fielded any 7550e RX complaints. I asked my former co-workers about that & yes indeed, they are getting some reports. IMHO, Motorola has got to be aware of this issue but has probably switched to excuse (c).

In my personal troubleshooting of this issue I discovered, while in the midst of a dropped call, I see the 7550's RSSI bargraph still at full bars & the top green LED still flashing, but the display switched from the TG & UID back to the channel display. I switched channels momentarily, going right back to the dropped call & that call resumed with audio! So, I decided to use the scan feature to simulate the switching of channels. I set the scan list to Priority 1 on 'Selected'. Yes, I still have dropped calls but they resume quickly w/o my interaction.

Good luck to us all!
W1LVY

Post by W1LVY »

ISSUE SOLVED !!!

I had the same exact issue with an XPR7550 for the last year, as the radio would drop audio on transmissions over 30 seconds in length most of the time. I wanted a second XPR7550 and found an "E" model at a great price. Surprisingly. there was no issue with the dropped calls on the newly acquired XPR7550e. In addition DMR ID's or Callsigns were appearing when a station transmits, SWEET. I noticed that the original XPR7550 was on firmware R02.10.05.0002 and the recently acquired XPR7550e was on R02.21.01.1002.

Upon upgrading the original XPR7550 to the latest firmware it is now preforming the same as the XPR7550e. No dropped calls and Caller Alias's are appearing. The downside is that the newer firmware only runs on CPS 2.0, which I fortunately have.

Hope you have the same results.