Cannot connect to Brandmeister network

Help with DMR issues
G4TVP

Re: Cannot connect to Brandmeister network

Post by G4TVP » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 pm

I *assumed* (as a newbie) that it would only be connecting to one server, as my DMR master is set to "BM_United_Kingdom_2341" in the configuration tab.

However, the "Expert" quick edit lists : "XLX Network, DMR Network 1, DMR Network 2, DMR Network 3" (all of which are not enabled), so I am confused as to what/who it's trying to connect to. How do I make it only talk to BM?

It would be really useful to compare my configuration against a working copy.

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 pm

You definitely need to turn off the DMRGateway, literally just run the DMR service with nothing else enabled.
--

Brian G8SEZ

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:21 pm

I got it to work for about 5 seconds and then hangs, until I reboot it. Oddly Dstar works absolutely fine.

When I've got a few pennies to spare, I think I might buy a new one, any recommendations?

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:39 pm

G4TVP wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 pm
However, the "Expert" quick edit lists : "XLX Network, DMR Network 1, DMR Network 2, DMR Network 3" (all of which are not enabled), so I am confused as to what/who it's trying to connect to. How do I make it only talk to BM?
That is under DMR GW, which since you have your master set to "BM_United_Kingdom_2341" in the configuration tab, those settings aren't being used at all. To use the settings in DMR GW, you would have to set the master to "DMRGateway"

The expert network settings are actually contained in MMDVMHost under the section [DMR Network]

Since you are using the basic configuration area you shouldn't even be concerned with the Expert menu anyways, as any changes to the basic section has the consequence of writing over more than just one setting and wiping out any custom settings you may have already done in the Expert area. In other words you can always use the basic settings to get the most commonly used correct working settings, but once you go into the Expert area and change things you should always use the Expert area to make further changes. Simply changing something in the basic area and clicking apply will undo things you've changed using the Expert menu.
G4TVP wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:21 pm
I got it to work for about 5 seconds and then hangs, until I reboot it. Oddly Dstar works absolutely fine.
That is because DStar uses a completely different server and login information to access it. MMDVMHost section [D-Star Network]
G4TVP wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:21 pm
When I've got a few pennies to spare, I think I might buy a new one, any recommendations?
That would just be a waste of money and you'd have two that don't work correctly.

I suggest you leave the master as BM_United_Kingdom_2341 and then go into your BM self care site and set or reset your BM hotspot security password to something other than the default. I had to do that in order to get things to work on my BM account. Another ham I know didn't have an issue with the default password. Shrug.

Follow the info here
http://wiki.pistar.uk/Pi-Star_Brandmeis ... t_Security
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly, it seems setting the configuration on the basic window alone doesn't work. It leaves in the default userid as 1234567, which is then picked up by the startup script as "incomplete" and it aborts starting the daemon. I've debugged the script as much as I can, and can see where it stops.

Code: Select all

if [[ $(egrep -h -i "1234567|M1ABC" ${CONFIG} | wc -l) -gt 0 ]]; then
  exit 1;
fi
I have already setup a (non default) password on BM self-care and entered this into the configuration. In fact, I believe I've changed it a couple of times now to be sure it was correct and have done it again.

Why would purchasing another hot-spot not resolve these issues ?
E: 2020-07-24 18:42:20.584 MMDVM RX buffer has overflowed
E: 2020-07-24 18:42:20.836 MMDVM RX buffer has overflowed
E: 2020-07-24 18:42:22.843 No reply from the modem for some time, resetting it
M: 2020-07-24 18:42:22.843 Closing the MMDVM
M: 2020-07-24 18:42:24.843 Opening the MMDVM
E: 2020-07-24 18:42:37.673 Unable to read the firmware version after six attempts
This cheapie hotspot has worked fine on Dstar, but alias doesn't want to play ball when it comes to DMR.

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:25 pm

You should be able to enter your DMR ID on the expert page in the DMR section.

Not sure why the basic page isn't working, can only think there is some sort of problem where the filesystem stays in read-only mode.
--

Brian G8SEZ

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:46 pm

G4TVP wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm
Why would purchasing another hot-spot not resolve these issues ?
Because the issues you are having will still exist on this hotspot and if it is something you are doing to cause it you'll just have two hotspots that don't work. You also don't need two separate hotspots one for DStar and one for DMR.

First, what model brand and size SD card are you using?
Check it on this list and see if other people reported issues. Maybe you have a card that likes to corrupt itself, I have one around here that causes all kinds of errors.
https://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

Second, just start over and write a new image to the SD card. If the basic configuration page isn't properly using your DMR ID then there are major problems and it is just easier to just start over than to try to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.

I suggest NOT using a backup configuration because if it is some setting you have set in the configuration, you would just be restoring the problem configuration.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 am

I have downloaded the latest version of Pi-Star this week (4.1.2) on the recommendation of Brian. All I did was put into the basic config my DMR id, selected BM UK and entered my self-care password. The SD card Iam using is a Kingston SDHC/16gb (class 10). We have been using these for about a year, without issue.

I really don't want to change anything on the Expert configuration, but the stock firmware just leaves the DMR id of 1234567 in there, so had no choice but to change that, otherwise I can see the script would fail.

My question would be, are the errors I am seeing (see my last post), indicative of a hardware failure or software configuration? I've asked a couple of times for the complete config, so I can try that, but to no avail.

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Have a look at your email Mike
--

Brian G8SEZ

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Thankyou, will try tonight😁