Cannot connect to Brandmeister network

Help with DMR issues
M1DNS

Re: Cannot connect to Brandmeister network

Post by M1DNS » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 am

Remember each network will have its own login criteria which needs to match. I saw a post recently on the BM telegram group where ID 1234567 has been blacklisted, it was seen to be being misused on several occasions. It was choosen as the default as it wouldnt usually be used as live ID but now it will be completly unusable on BM so it wont connect there But this same ID could possibly be accepted to work over a DSTAR or YSF network as each is different.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:18 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:33 pm

The modem selection setting for a Jumbospot board is:
STM32-DVM / MMDVM_HS - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO)
I found with my very first Jumbospot board 2 or 3 years ago that this modem selection didn't work, and I had the same symptoms with the "couldn't read firmware version after 6 attempts" error.

I ended up using the MMDVM_HS_HAT (DB9MAT & DF2ET) for Pi (GPIO) selection, but there were also numerous firmware updates (I think I started with version 1.3.5). There is some confusion over the HS_HAT boards, because the early "genuine" ones with hardware versions less than 1.3 were a bit different. Later Jumbospots were built to v1.6 standard which has been a lot more stable, I hacked in some of the changes to my boards, one in particular was the filtering on the 3.3v rail, the later dual HAT board uses a regulator taken from the +5v rail as this ensures a more stable voltage and it isn't affected by the changing 3.3v load on the RPi itself.

I now have a Dual_HS_HAT board and it is a lot more forgiving even though it takes up over twice the area of the Pi Zero sized HATs.
--

Brian G8SEZ

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:57 pm

1/. I've prized the OLED up as far as I dare and can't see any identification marked around the antenna/OLED area, sorry!
2/. I have changed the modem selection to "STM32-DVM / MMDVM_HS - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO)", but no difference.
3/. All leds (except power) blink 3 times on startup. The SVC goes off and on a few times. It it helps, I maybe could record a video of startup and post that somewhere for you to look?
4/. Couldn't see any sign of the version in the logfile, but the Dashboard reports "HS_Hat:v1.4.17"
5/. This is a Pi zero 1.1. I did also try the HAT on my other Pi-zero to be sure, which also says "Pi Zero W v1.1" on the silkscreen. Is that what you mean't?

Hopefully by the end of this week, I will get another MMDVM board from Ebay.

Thank you for investing the time to try to get to the bottom of this issue. Hopefully I have answered all your questions.

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:54 pm

M1DNS wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 am
ID 1234567 has been blacklisted <SNIP> But this same ID could possibly be accepted to work over a DSTAR
To my knowledge, D-STAR doesn't use DMR-style ID numbers; as an amateur-only protocol, it was designed from the start to use actual call-signs. In the business world, DMR IDs are similar to private LAN IP addresses -- they get issued by the company providing radio service (end users don't get to configure the radios, the provider -- who likely also operates/installs a repeater, defines talk groups for the client, who also provides a list of users to programmed into the radios. NXDN is likely similar. I'm surprised if YSF doesn't use call signs directly.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:22 pm

AF6VN wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:54 pm
M1DNS wrote:
ID 1234567 has been blacklisted <SNIP> But this same ID could possibly be accepted to work over a DSTAR
To my knowledge, D-STAR doesn't use DMR-style ID numbers; as an amateur-only protocol, it was designed from the start to use actual call-signs. In the business world, DMR IDs are similar to private LAN IP addresses -- they get issued by the company providing radio service (end users don't get to configure the radios, the provider -- who likely also operates/installs a repeater, defines talk groups for the client, who also provides a list of users to programmed into the radios. NXDN is likely similar. I'm surprised if YSF doesn't use call signs directly.
YSF does use callsigns but it also has the concept of a radio ID which is supposed to be unique to each radio Yaesu produces. It's a 5 digit alphanumeric.

As ever radio amateurs modify things for their own convenience and some manufacturers provide more facilities than their commercial users demand because they know that amateurs buy them.

I am frankly amazed that all the modes and networks hang together as well as they do.
--

Brian G8SEZ

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:59 pm

G8SEZ wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:18 pm

I found with my very first Jumbospot board 2 or 3 years ago that this modem selection didn't work, and I had the same symptoms with the "couldn't read firmware version after 6 attempts" error.
That information I posted came from the official Jumbospot documentation, its also in the PDF docs on banggood.
http://jumbospot17.blogspot.com/2018/01 ... anual.html

There are a number of slight differences to each of the selections where multiple selections would function correctly for a given board.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:20 pm

G4TVP wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:57 pm
1/. I've prized the OLED up as far as I dare and can't see any identification marked around the antenna/OLED area, sorry!
Its not a big deal, I was able to identify it by its circuit layout.

G4TVP wrote:
2/. I have changed the modem selection to "STM32-DVM / MMDVM_HS - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO)", but no difference.
I figured that was going to be the case. It isn't a simple configuration problem. It also isn't a hardware failure either. Its much more complicated.
G4TVP wrote:
3/. All leds (except power) blink 3 times on startup. The SVC goes off and on a few times. It it helps, I maybe could record a video of startup and post that somewhere for you to look?
Ok, the LED blinking at startup tells me that the code inside the hat is operating correctly. The SVC should blink slowly for a few seconds and then speed up, or the other way around. I forget exactly. I just know once communications are established it changes. It is supposed to be something like a heartbeat.
G4TVP wrote:
4/. Couldn't see any sign of the version in the logfile, but the Dashboard reports "HS_Hat:v1.4.17"
That is the latest stable version. There is a newer beta version, but I don't think it is going to solve your issue either as there weren't any major changes.
G4TVP wrote:
5/. This is a Pi zero 1.1. I did also try the HAT on my other Pi-zero to be sure, which also says "Pi Zero W v1.1" on the silkscreen. Is that what you mean't?
Ok, since you had posted that you were using a SD card, I figured it must of been an older RPi, but now I understand you forgot to say microSD card.
G4TVP wrote:
Hopefully by the end of this week, I will get another MMDVM board from Ebay.

Thank you for investing the time to try to get to the bottom of this issue. Hopefully I have answered all your questions.
Unfortunately, I think you are going to bump into this bug again. I've seen a few reports about it from as far back as 2016, and then it went away, but a user on reddit recently posted similar errors. I don't have any idea what would cause it. In the past I have noticed the same buffer overflow message on my own hotspot that I leave on 24/7 but it never seemed to fail like yours is doing and now those error messages are nonexistant.

I think you'll have to wait until Andy compiles the next version of MMDVMHost and see what happens then.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:59 pm
G8SEZ wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:18 pm

That information I posted came from the official Jumbospot documentation, its also in the PDF docs on banggood.
http://jumbospot17.blogspot.com/2018/01 ... anual.html

There are a number of slight differences to each of the selections where multiple selections would function correctly for a given board.
I remember it well, my first board came with a photocopy of a print-out of the web page. I used the settings it suggested, it just sat there and did very little. After a day or so I found the fix, which was to use the modem selection setting I mentioned. I don't know why it didn't work at the time, might have been a combination of firmware and the PiStar of the time. I did find that the initial fw version was 1.3.3 which was earlier than I thought.

I don't remember when the generic fw for GPIO radios came along, ah it was with 1.3.7. A quick look says that the difference is a few #define statements, LIBRE_KIT_ADF7021 instead of MMDVM_HS_HAT_REV12 , SEND_RSSI_DATA and USE_ALTERNATE_POCSAG_LEDS disabled in the header files. Didn't look how much the first one affects communication with the ADF7021. The latter is probably not very relevant, RSSI data is also nice to have but not essential.
--

Brian G8SEZ

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:00 am

AF6VN wrote:
M1DNS wrote:
To my knowledge, D-STAR doesn't use DMR-style ID numbers; as an amateur-only protocol, it was designed from the start to use actual call-signs.
Im not surprised you have little knowledge of this as the DCS and xlx networks are mostly unknown to U.S. hams, instead your dstar users are fixacted mostly on the dplus reflectors.

The DCS dstar networks required you to register for a ccs7 ID to be identified over their networks. It was also used as a way of routing a call to a particular users via his ID and tracking them as they worked through differing repeaters. The ID like a dmr id was registered against ur ham callsign and followed the same 7digit format used by the dmr registration process. DCS (whilst still in use) formed the basis of the XLX networks we see all over use in europe and the rest of the world. Their use in Europe far outweigh the dplus network used by U.S. hams and the id nos are still used. XLX have now grown to accept links via DSTAR DMR & YSF, but as said most of you in the U.S. are obvious to them. so your reply doesnt come as a surprise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

G4TVP

Post by G4TVP » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:26 am

If there is anything I can do to assist with dev/testing, then please let me know. 😁