SMS over DMR...???

Help with DMR issues
G8OGJ

SMS over DMR...???

Post by G8OGJ »

Folks,

I have two DMR radios - a Retevis RT82 and a Retevis RT84 (the latter bought cheaply when I thought that I had bricked the RT82 which turned out to be wrong). The RT82 has GPS but the RT84 does not. The issues reported below are identical between the two. I normally have APRS reporting on for the RT82 when using repeaters and off when using the home hotspot. The RT84 obviously doesn't have that functionality. APRS seems to work from time to time but I will start with SMS which I would like to get working for various reasons.

I have from time to time been able to send and receive SMS messages both to a contact (when his radio is on, obviously) and to the Dutch wx server.

However, this is certainly NOT reliable. I have not knowingly changed anything to cause this problem.

I gather (correct me if I am wrong) that the SMS service does not work on Phoenix, which doesn't trouble me much. I have tried recently through GB3IN, GB7IN and GB7WI (which I believe to be Brandmeister repeaters) without success. I also cannot send via my pi-star hotspot.

Can anyone point me to the relevant documentation or a simple set-up guide?

Many thanks,

Isn
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ
G8OGJ

RESOLVED? Re: SMS over DMR...???

Post by G8OGJ »

Well, I noticed that in my CPS the box "Data Call Confirmed" was checked - so I un-checked it and I have been able to send messages to 262993 since, although still not 100%.

So maybe this was a setup error.

My radio is a Retevis RT84 (I also have an RT82 with the same box in the channel window). Now I have to amend my HotSpot and repeater programming.

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ