Split frequencies for a duplex hotspot now illegal on BM?

Help with DMR issues
K9DJN

Split frequencies for a duplex hotspot now illegal on BM?

Post by K9DJN »

I have a couple of duplex boards by VR2VYE/BI7JTA. One of them is on my DMR hotspot, and BM went missing today. Shows "off" in Self Care. Then I read about BM protecting themselves from "misconfigured" hot spots by requiring all of them to use the same TX and RX frequencies.

This is the whole point of the duplex boards as I understand it, to allow basically a personal repeater of sorts. And as I was doing, also using two different networks simultaneously with two DMR radios and a simple DMR gateway config to split the networks between the two timeslots. This requires a split TX/RX pair, and I used one set not assigned to any repeaters in my area.

BM is making themselves more and more irrelevant by doing stuff like this. Might as well throw my duplex boards away, although they still work fine with D-Star as a simple repeater.

Doug - K9DJN
KG6RUT

Re: Split frequencies for a duplex hotspot now illegal on BM?

Post by KG6RUT »

Interesting....I show red in the Brandmeister dashboard, but my hotspot shows connected and is working.....at least for the moment.
G4UGM

Post by G4UGM »

Mine still seems to be working, but this seems a retrograde step as it means you have to go the branmesiter page to drop talk groups.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

New day....hotspot still connected and working AND Brandmeister now has me at green again....fwiw
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

K9DJN wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 am Then I read about BM protecting themselves from "misconfigured" hot spots by requiring all of them to use the same TX and RX frequencies.
Where did you read this? Do you have a link?

A bit of reading around actually reveals exactly the opposite, BM won't allow duplex hotspots with Tx and Rx frequencies set the same as that breaks the ability for the DMR terminal to listen for the repeater data burst in the opposite timeslot.
--

Brian G8SEZ
K9DJN

Post by K9DJN »

G8SEZ wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:55 pm
K9DJN wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 am Then I read about BM protecting themselves from "misconfigured" hot spots by requiring all of them to use the same TX and RX frequencies.
Where did you read this? Do you have a link?

A bit of reading around actually reveals exactly the opposite, BM won't allow duplex hotspots with Tx and Rx frequencies set the same as that breaks the ability for the DMR terminal to listen for the repeater data burst in the opposite timeslot.
Alas, it was a Facebook post on a group for DMR radios, and now I can't find it. Perhaps your take on it is correct. I was splitting networks with my setup, and maybe they don't want that anymore. TGIF Legacy on TS1 and BM on TS2. I will try it again in any case.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Something similar described in this thread:

https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/main/topic ... 0,78749394

I don't really know much about your network splitting comment, I really do try to keep things reasonably simple.
--

Brian G8SEZ
K9DJN

Post by K9DJN »

G8SEZ wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:03 pm Something similar described in this thread:

I don't really know much about your network splitting comment, I really do try to keep things reasonably simple.
Yes, that's where I saw it too. Just reviewed my e-mail. I did try it again, and now I can see my hotspot in BM's self care. But no API any more, and I did check to make sure my API key was still there. If this message was mainly directed to DVSwitch users, maybe it wasn't for duplex users on PiStar.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

K9DJN wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:03 pm Something similar described in this thread:

Yes, that's where I saw it too. Just reviewed my e-mail. I did try it again, and now I can see my hotspot in BM's self care. But no API any more, and I did check to make sure my API key was still there. If this message was mainly directed to DVSwitch users, maybe it wasn't for duplex users on PiStar.
You need to hit Apply on the config page and double check your Master settings....thats from the update Andy pushed
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

K9DJN wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 am I have a couple of duplex boards by VR2VYE/BI7JTA. One of them is on my DMR hotspot, and BM went missing today. Shows "off" in Self Care. Then I read about BM protecting themselves from "misconfigured" hot spots by requiring all of them to use the same TX and RX frequencies.

This is the whole point of the duplex boards as I understand it, to allow basically a personal repeater of sorts. And as I was doing, also using two different networks simultaneously with two DMR radios and a simple DMR gateway config to split the networks between the two timeslots. This requires a split TX/RX pair, and I used one set not assigned to any repeaters in my area.

BM is making themselves more and more irrelevant by doing stuff like this. Might as well throw my duplex boards away, although they still work fine with D-Star as a simple repeater.

Doug - K9DJN
Doug, the way you read BM's actions isn't accurate.

BM allows duplex, simplex but not 1/2 duplex.
So, dual radio board, with split frequency is totally valid.
Single radio board with single frequency, totally valid.
Single radio board with split frequency, not valid.

*dual radio board, with wrong board selected in the config page can be configured as a single radio board in the config!*

So board selection is important, the config page uses what I know about the boards to set boards that cannot come with dual radios to DMO mode. Just make sure you choose your board correctly and you should be good.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk