What is the correct method to drop a TG on Phoenix?

Help with DMR issues
G4CTP

What is the correct method to drop a TG on Phoenix?

Post by G4CTP »

I'm using DMR Master to connect to BM and Phoenix. Phoenix is Network 2, and is accessed using the 8xxxx method.

On BM, I can disconnect using a private call to 4000, or I can use the BM SelfCare dashboard, or I can use the Pi-Star's BrandMeister Manager.

On Phoenix, however, I seem to be locked-in until a TG times out. I do have StartRef=4000 set, so a reboot will disconnect me... but there must be a better way?
G8SEZ

Re: What is the correct method to drop a TG on Phoenix?

Post by G8SEZ »

I would expect a private call to 4000 to work for Phoenix.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G4CTP

Post by G4CTP »

I don't think so. From http://www.dmr-uk.net/index.php/layout/
TG4000 Unlink/Disconnect – This facility is not implemented on the Phoenix IPSC2 servers. Instead any user activated TG will automatically time out after 15 mins if you don’t transmit to it. With hotspots using the Phoenix F server, the same applies with Talkgroups
So does this mean there is no method of disconnecting, other than the timeout?
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G4CTP wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:14 am I don't think so. From http://www.dmr-uk.net/index.php/layout/
TG4000 Unlink/Disconnect – This facility is not implemented on the Phoenix IPSC2 servers. Instead any user activated TG will automatically time out after 15 mins if you don’t transmit to it. With hotspots using the Phoenix F server, the same applies with Talkgroups
So does this mean there is no method of disconnecting, other than the timeout?
What happens if you activate a different talk group. Do you get traffic from both talk groups, or does the new one take priority?

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G4CTP

Post by G4CTP »

I can’t test at the moment because Phoenix is under maintenance.

But I think both are active, with the last-triggered taking priority. I guess that is good enough.
g6fgy

Post by g6fgy »

Generally on Phoenix, if there's already a User Activated (UA) TG in existance (or indeed static ones), there are 'hold-off' timers that will prevent the existing one from taking over if another one is set up.. It's a very short hold-off though, something like 10 seconds. However you need to take into account that there should be a 3-5 second pause between overs, which gives you effectively around 5 seconds to retain the talkgroup. The interplay between active and non-active talkgroups, whether they be UA or not, is a very fine balance, but one that for the most part, seems to work reasonably well.

I have raised this with the network admins in the past to see if that hold-off time can be increased, but it's something that's way down the list of priorites I'm afraid..
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

since your on both BM and Phx, you would need to send a 7004000 to disconnect....EDIT: need a new brain.... for Phx I think disconnect should be 84000...
g6fgy

Post by g6fgy »

For those of you who have asked in the past about forcing a disconnection of a user activated TG on the Phoenix network (as in group call to TG4000 on Brandmeister) rather than having to wait for the 15min auto-timeout, I'm pleased to say that such a facility does indeed exist and apparently has been around for some time. The information was tucked away in lesser known Facebook group about DMR+ Worldwide and I only came across it by chance when doing some research for something else.

Before you all get too excited, local testing shows that there appears to be a safeguard built in to the facility that I suspect is there to prevent potential misuse, so it's not necessarily the magic bullet that will disconnect any user activated TG on your repeater.

The disconnect is called by a group call to TG400 (yes 400 NOT 4000 - which is where we've been going wrong previuosly) on the relevent timeslot. The caveat is that it will only disconnect a UA group that you yourself have initiated. It will NOT disconnect a UA group that was established by another user.

As with Brandmeister, once you've finished with the TG, issue the disconnect command to release it from your local repeater. This will also work for hotspot users on Phoenix-F.