DMR2YSF not working

Help with DMR issues
g4rwi

DMR2YSF not working

Post by g4rwi »

Hi
Im running Pi-Star:4.1.4

Trying to get DMR2YSF working.
I have enabled DMR2YSF in Configuration, but when I apply changes the DMR2YSF returns unselected.
I am using DMR Gateway
On the Dashboard DMR2YSF Cross-over has been added however
I have programmed the radio to use TG 7099999 (as Im using the gateway), but this, or indeed any other Talkgroup doesnt work?

Am I missing a step?

Thanks
Nigel G4RWI
AF6VN

Re: DMR2YSF not working

Post by AF6VN »

Have you configured a YSF server? In my understanding DMR2YSF is a local operation on the hotspot, in which the DMR voice data is extracted from the DMR packet, and gets wrapped into a YSF packet (the voice data for both use the same CODEC). It then gets sent out using a YSF server which you need to configure.

To my knowledge, the DMR Gateway merely takes DMR packets and routes them to DMR servers based upon TG (and maybe the rewrite rules -- I only have Brandmeister configured, so no Gateway involvement).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
g4rwi

Post by g4rwi »

Hi Dennis

No I dont have a YSF server configured. Ive not seen any reference to that in any other posts. My understanding is DMR2YSF is a separate network.
Ive tried enabling the YSF server, which works and I get to YSF traffic showing on the hotspot, but as soon as I enable DMR2YSF and apply changes, the DMR2YSF setting is deselected, as is the YSF server
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

g4rwi wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:56 pm Hi Dennis

No I dont have a YSF server configured. Ive not seen any reference to that in any other posts. My understanding is DMR2YSF is a separate network.
Ive tried enabling the YSF server, which works and I get to YSF traffic showing on the hotspot, but as soon as I enable DMR2YSF and apply changes, the DMR2YSF setting is deselected, as is the YSF server
There is no DMR2YSF "network". All of the xxx2yyy modes rely upon the hotspot extracting the digital voice data from the incoming packet, then wrapping it in the other protocol's envelope before sending it onward. You'll notice there is no DMR2DSTAR -- because D-STAR uses a different digital voice CODEC and the CODECs are $$$$ licenses; the hotspot can't decode DMR and encode D-STAR.

It may be that the use of the DMR Gateway mode is conflicting with DMR2YSF? Most of the (stale) web pages indicate DMR master should be DMR2YSF, but https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-c ... 2ysfconfig does mention DMR Gateway as an option. Most detailed instructions appear to be https://www.trianglenc.net/dmr-to-ysf/

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
g4rwi

Post by g4rwi »

Hi Dennis

Thanks again for your help with this. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.
So you are correct that I have DMR Master set to DMR Gateway
And thanks for those links
The problem seems to be, when I toggle DMR2YSF 'ON' and then Apply Changes and Pistar has been through a reboot sequence DMR2YSF is then OFF
My expectation would be it stays 'ON' and then a new panel is available to enter the YSF network settings.

I havent tried setting DMR Master to DMR2YSF, but that would somewhat negate the purpose as I would lose the DMR capability

So the question is, is there something else I need to set so the DMR2YSF toggle will stay on, or is there some setting that is preventing that?

Andy's own post suggest that it should be possible to use DMR Gateway, in fact there is a table of Talkgroup numbers to use when using the gateway
g4rwi

Re: DMR2YSF not working SOLVED

Post by g4rwi »

Re imaged my pi star, restored from a backup. Now working as expected
Thanks for the help