Completely new to this. Can't get gateway and MD-380 to work

Help with DMR issues
K0DXV

Re: Completely new to this. Can't get gateway and MD-380 to work

Post by K0DXV »

In each of the talk groups I have programmed "This is K0DXV. Anyone around that give me a signal report? Am I making it in ?"

DEAD SILENCE on all. This is kinda like the fantastic number of repeaters between Denver and Fort Collins - of which 2 or 3 have any kind of regular traffic. Since smart phones have become popular and with declining numbers of hams and perhaps the advent of FT8 - I have no real explanation - repeaters that in the 70s, 80s and even 90s where busy - especially during commuter times - are now completely quiet.

There are hundreds and hundreds of Call IDs in the 3 Colorado counties I'm mainly interested in. If and when any of them actually operate in a talk group is a mystery. I certainly don't hear anyone. So, it's just like the 40 or so repeaters from Denver north. Too many repeaters - too few hams.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

well as an example not all repeaters connect to Brandmeister.... https://www.rmham.org/brandmeister-repeaters/
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

K0DXV wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 pm In each of the talk groups I have programmed "This is K0DXV. Anyone around that give me a signal report? Am I making it in ?"
Pardon? Not every DMR system handles text messages to my knowledge.

And if you are using a hot spot, the fact that the dashboard/admin page shows your call in outgoing activity is proof that you "made it in" (to the hotspot). After that you at the control of the TCP/IP network (or does Pi-Star rely on UDP; TCP/IP guarantees packet delivery, but it may be after a number of retries; UDP is fire&forget). Parrot, or maybe a test group (I believe BM implemented a test talk group at #98) to ensure you are reaching the BM server (which server are you using -- recommendation is to use the one closest to you... For some reason I'm thinking either San Jose or Dallas may be closer than Chicago). You should be using the lowest power setting the radio supports for hot spot access -- since they are so week on output.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber