Completely new to this. Can't get gateway and MD-380 to work

Help with DMR issues
AF6VN

Re: Completely new to this. Can't get gateway and MD-380 to work

Post by AF6VN »

K0DXV wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:02 pm You say there is no contact for Parrot. It's listed in Digital Contacts as #989 Parrot Private Call 9990.
I said the CHANNEL configuration does not specify the contact.

Contacts define talk-groups

Channels link the talk-group to a frequency etc.

Was my image even visible (I've had mixed results for providing links to my dynamic DNS R-Pi server -- somehow my router seems to have cached the name as it returns with just one link).

If not, load your editor, and look at the CHANNEL you have defined as "PRA Parrot". On the right hand side will be a list-box for contact name. That is where you have to put your Parrot contact to tell the channel which talk group it is using.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 pm
K0DXV wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm Not sure where you're seeing BM 4601 BrandMeister Master is set to BM 3102.
From YOUR public BM dashboard.

https://brandmeister.network/?page=hotspot&id=3182828

You had to have set 4601 at some time, it doesn't just get magically set to china on its own.
The OP also has stated that they just recently (within the last week or so) obtained a hotspot and DMR radio. If true, then someone was using their DMR ID illicitly last fall.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

May be moot... That hotspot link is now showing 5 activations on TG 3108 from 65 minutes ago to 72 minutes ago... So something may be working...

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
K0DXV

Post by K0DXV »

Either the Hotspot doesn't work right or the radio doesn't work right. I've been over everything 20 times. Occasionally I see something show up on the dashboard. But, Parrot doesn't work no matter how many different ways I try to define it. I'm just out of ideas. I've watched every video there is on YouTube. They're all the same. Everything say it should work and it doesn't. I think I just send this crap back to Amazon and give up on DMR.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:59 pm
AF6VN wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm The OP also has stated that they just recently (within the last week or so) obtained a hotspot and DMR radio. If true, then someone was using their DMR ID illicitly last fall.
How do you figure? There is nothing that references any date of last fall. He could of purchased a used Nanospot recently since micronode is no longer
Based on the (previous) version of the hotspot last-heard page, I'm fairly certain it was showing some date that was last year... I'll concede my miserable eyes might have mis-read that.

(opening a second session to review past posts -- Okay, it does appear to be a misread at least based on the images posted; I can't check the actual page as that has updated now)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

K0DXV wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:00 am Either the Hotspot doesn't work right or the radio doesn't work right. I've been over everything 20 times. Occasionally I see something show up on the dashboard. But, Parrot doesn't work no matter how many different ways I try to define it. I'm just out of ideas. I've watched every video there is on YouTube. They're all the same. Everything say it should work and it doesn't. I think I just send this crap back to Amazon and give up on DMR.
Load your code plug software, and read from the radio... THEN...

As mentioned, you have TG 3108 in the contacts list TWICE (along with a few others). That could confuse the radio as to which contact it should display. (Talk groups in the contacts list should only name a repeater IF they are specific to that repeater only; otherwise they should be named after the network they are on -- 3108 is a BM talkgroup). (If you delete one, you'll have to go through ALL the channels to see where it might have been used, along with group lists, and replace with the version you kept).

Look at your channel definition (and again, the name is misleading as PRA Colorado implies it is the PRA repeater, but you've edited it to use your hotspot, rather than creating hot spot specific channels).

"PRA Colorado" does not have a group list (though my understanding was that group lists only meant the channel could also hear the OTHER talk groups named in the list -- and the channel would always hear the named contact).

"PRA Parrot" has the group list "BM ALL", but does NOT HAVE a talk group/contact specified. The contact name needs to be "Parrot" (BTW: this also applies to the W0TX Parrot entry).

You stated you started from someone else's code plug and started hacking it. How many of those channels do you really intend to use? I'd probably start off with an empty code-plug (faster than deleting channels one-at-a-time), and then load a clean set of talk groups ("BM xxx") at the top of the contacts list. After that, I'd make a group list with all the newly created BM contacts (That BM All group looks hazy to me, but might be okay -- though it is missing the Parrot contact). After you have contacts and group list cleaned up, THEN start defining the Channels... One channel per contact per hotspot/repeater you intend to use. The CHANNEL NAME is where you specify the hotspot or repeater, not the contact name (unless, as mentioned, it is specific to one repeater).

Off-hand, it looks like ALL the channels with "parrot" in the name are mis-configured -- I've looked at three in your code-plug, and NONE specify a parrot contact. Similarly, the first channel in the list is named "446.100" is useless -- it has no contact listed, and all your hotspot channels are on that frequency. There is a whole slew of FM channels named by <frequency> "Simplex" (and "Smplx PL"). Putting a PL tone on a simplex channel seems rather futile -- any channel that is NOT using a PL tone will hear the PL tone channel, but the PL tone channel will not hear them. Further down is a slew of <frequence><PL> entries for FM repeaters -- who memorizes FM repeaters by their OUTPUT frequency and PL tone?

Channel "ABQ Rk Mtn" is configured for simplex on your hotspot frequency, but has a color code of 7 and time slot 1, which won't go through your hotspot.

At the bottom of the list are 10 "CCARC Hotspot" entries... All ten are for BM Colorado, but have different frequencies. Will you ever use those?

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
K0DXV

Post by K0DXV »

I Created a new CodePlug with only PARROT in it. I updated only three areas as shown above. The HotSpot does not show any activity after attempting three transmissions. What could possibly be missing or miscoded?
K0DXV

Post by K0DXV »

Pi-star HotSpot configuration.

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

K0DXV wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 pm Image

I Created a new CodePlug with only PARROT in it. I updated only three areas as shown above. The HotSpot does not show any activity after attempting three transmissions. What could possibly be missing or miscoded?
You never specified the Parrot CONTACT in the CHANNEL.

Channel names are just that -- ad-hoc names. They have no interaction with contact names.

On the right side of the Channel config, there is a drop-down list labeled "Contact Name".

Open that drop-down, and select the CONTACT that defines the parrot talk-group.

{Appears the current MD-380 editor has dropped "in-call criteria" which shows up under "privacy" in my MD-390 editor.}

Addendum: I'd probably rename the CHANNEL to "HS Parrot"; HS for HotSpot, since you may want to configure the parrot contact for some local DMR repeaters too, so those would have a channel name of "<rptr> Parrot"

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm Also thanks for taking the time and sorting out this guys radio programming.
But how many times do I have to repeat the same statement.

viewtopic.php?p=19664#p19664

There is no contact defined -- the talk group number is associated with the contact name. So PTT on this Parrot channel goes nowhere
viewtopic.php?p=19675#p19675

I said the CHANNEL configuration does not specify the contact.
viewtopic.php?p=19684#p19684
"PRA Parrot" has the group list "BM ALL", but does NOT HAVE a talk group/contact specified. The contact name needs to be "Parrot" (BTW: this also applies to the W0TX Parrot entry).
viewtopic.php?p=19688#p19688
You never specified the Parrot CONTACT in the CHANNEL.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber