TGIF in Expert DMR GW mode - to prime or not to prime?

Help with DMR issues
MD7MUP

TGIF in Expert DMR GW mode - to prime or not to prime?

Post by MD7MUP »

Morning Gang!

Gotta quick question: should I be using prime.tgif.network (and a user-specific password) or just tgif.network with plain old passw0rd on my Pi-star hotspot?

At first I configured tgif.network and it worked just fine until I discovered that I couldn't activate some of the talkgroups which popped up when listening to 777 or which I saw on the TGIF Last Heard page. No matter how I tried (from the radio, via Self Care, or via the Static widget that had appeared on my Pi-star's admin page - nice touch) I just ended up going to 4000 instead of, for example, 31665.

I then configured my Pi-star to use prime.tgif.network along with the user-specific password from User Security page, and now I can connect to a whole bunch of talkgroups, but the Static widget is gone from my Pi-star's admin page, which makes me wonder if prime.tgif.network is a production server or in beta.

For what it's worth, I can make contact with other stations in either case but when I try the echo test / parrot on 9990 there are gaps and drop-outs in my audio.

Config below for reference, many thanks in advance for your feedback.
Mark - MD7MUP

Code: Select all

[DMR Network 4]
Enabled=1
Name=TGIF_Network
#Address=tgif.network
Address=prime.tgif.network
#Password=passw0rd
Password="[removed]"
Port=62031
TGRewrite2=2,300001,2,1,99999
PCRewrite2=2,304000,2,4000,1001
Location=0
Debug=0
Id=[removed]
WB3IHY

Re: TGIF in Expert DMR GW mode - to prime or not to prime?

Post by WB3IHY »

Hi Mark,

Although both addresses currently resolve to the TGIF server properly, understand that there is no longer a "prime" server or "legacy" server. It's just the "TGIF" server now. So all you really need to use is Address=tgif.network in the config file along with your password from the User Security page.

Some of the talkgroups on TGIF (and, notably, the "main" one 31665) have opted to REQUIRE that secure password for access. Although the server will still accept connections with the default "passw0rd," those talkgroups will not appear in certain lists and/or allow access when that's used.

If, by "static widget," you're referring to the TGIF API panel which allows you to change talkgroups from the Pi-Star admin page, you might try adding a two digit suffix to your DMR ID specified in the ID= line for the TGIF network stanza (or, if you're already using one, changing it to another unique two digits.) That might get it to reappear after a reboot of the hotspot.

For example, my DMR ID is 3111644. My ID line under my TGIF network stanza for the gateway reads ID=311164434.

Hope all that helps.

Joe, WB3IHY
MD7MUP

Re: TGIF in Expert DMR GW mode - to prime or not to prime?

Post by MD7MUP »

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your response, and please accept my apologies for the delayed reply - for some reason I don't receive notifications of post updates by default so I'm a little late in coming back. Will look to fix that.
WB3IHY wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:10 pm all you really need to use is Address=tgif.network in the config file along with your password from the User Security page.
I've removed the 'prime' part from my access URL but kept the user-specific password, and as you rightly said this has allowed me to access those talkgroups which were hidden from me when I was using the default passw0rd.

Removing 'prime' from the URL also brought back the TGIF API panel (which I originally referred to as a 'widget' - showing my age now) so I don't think that's dependent upon the DMR ID suffix, which is the same for all three DMR networks configured on my Pi-star hotspot.

Thanks again and 73s from MD7MUP ...