DMR Linux question

Help with DMR issues
2E0WHN

DMR Linux question

Post by 2E0WHN »

Is it possible to setup and update a DMR radio using a Linux machine?

I think that it is but having only used Windows before I am wondering if WINe or some other emulator would help as the files are .exe and not .tar.gz. So would emulation cause problems of which the radio and OS may be incompatible (using Linux Mint 20).

Any info on doing this would be helpful.
DMR ID: 2347152

As a child I was made to walk the plank.
We couldn't afford a dog.
dh3ybe

Re: DMR Linux question

Post by dh3ybe »

Hi,

In only have from the dmr radio manufacturer windows files to make updates like firmware, you need somehow A windows OS.
Under Linux or MAC OS X (based on Unix-BSD) you need are Virtual machine. I this Virtual machine a Real Windows OS hast to work. Tytera only Needs windows 7 or higher and and Excel for example. I ran That config an a MAC OS X. But you have to configure a lot in a virtual Machine like VMWare: network, usb devices which should be used and so on.

Wine did may work in the past but not today, as i read in the Internet. Maybe there are other experiences in this superb Forum.

Outcome: you Need a windows OS somehow.

I am Not Talking about a gd77, where the additional Hamradio firmware was developed for.

BR
Kai
Dh3ybe
g6fgy

Re: DMR Linux question

Post by g6fgy »

Whilst this isn't direcly connected to Pi-star, I can offer some info that the OP may find helpful.

Briefly - 'cos it is/can be a complex process - but a definite YES to running the cps's using a virtual machine on Linux. I use Virtual Box running W-10 on Linux Mint (Mate edition)

As for running the cps under Linux direct - it can be done for the some of the Anytone radios using the latest version of Wine, but there are some definite caveats. There may well be some tweaking needed of Linux libraries to get them running in the first place. Once this is successfully done, ONLY the 868 & 578 will work as expected due to the way the com port is detected on the 878.

There is however, a piece of software for linux that effectively provides a generic CPS style interface for several brands of DMR radio. It's QDMR (https://dm3mat.darc.de/qdmr/) and does provide a fairly basic way of programming a DMR radio. I'd advise reading all the documentation provided on the above website as there are limitations as to what the program can or can't do.

I've had a quick play around with it and it does work but at this time it's still a work in progress. PS: I'm not associated with the software,, just came across it whilst seeking the same answer as the OP.

Eric - G6FGY (UK)