DMRGateway Issue: Apply Changes button Disables [Network 3]

Help with DMR issues
VE3RD

DMRGateway Issue: Apply Changes button Disables [Network 3]

Post by VE3RD »

There is an increasing number of Hams trying to use the DMRGateway to communicate on Brandmeister Network and the TGIF_Network without having to go into Pi-Star to change the master server. Howevewer this is made more difficult than it needs to be by the following code. Essentially is says that if you are not running DMR2YSF or DMR2nxdn crossovers then shut down [Network 3]. This code is activated every time you hit the "Apply Changes" button in the main pi-star configuration module.

I am using the DMRgateway [Network 3] to connect to the TGIF_Network. I found that any changes made in the main pi-star configuration module caused [Network 3] to be disabled.

On searching the code in configure.php, I found the culprit. I have made this change in my own hotspot and my local repeater, but would sure appreciate a more elegant solution incorporated in the next pi-star revision. (Possibly TGIF field test in the initial if statement)

// Work out if DMR Network 3 should be ON or not
if (empty($_POST['MMDVMModeDMR2YSF']) != TRUE || empty($_POST['MMDVMModeDMR2NXDN']) != TRUE) {
if (escapeshellcmd($_POST['MMDVMModeDMR2YSF']) == 'ON' || escapeshellcmd($_POST['MMDVMModeDMR2NXDN']) == 'ON')
{
$configdmrgateway['DMR Network 3']['Enabled'] = "1";
} else {
// $configdmrgateway['DMR Network 3']['Enabled'] = "0"; // Original Line Disabled VE3RD
$configdmrgateway['DMR Network 3']['Enabled'] = "1"; // New Line added VE3RD

}
}

Best Regards
Phil VE3RD
VK3KYY

Re: DMRGateway Issue: Apply Changes button Disables [Network 3]

Post by VK3KYY »

You could repost this in the feature request section.

BTW.

I have found on multiple occasions that the configuration screen has overwritten changes I made to TG rewrites in the DMR Gateway expert settings

PiStar needs a more elegant way to handle when people use the expert settings, and not simply overwrite them when they made basic changes like for example changing the hotspot frequency
N1GMB

Post by N1GMB »

Yea but how does on add that to their own hotspot?
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Guys,

Please remember that Pi-Star attempts to cater for beginners, if you are swapping stuff in the expert pages, you are not really beginners any more.
In my post about TGIF, I did say that official support is only there for single master mode for TGIF exactly because it overlaps BM's TG list, so for beginners BM + TGIF when limited to a single time-slot is not going to work.

I agree that the config page is very persistent that it knows best, but that is by design - its done that way to keep *most* users on the right track, if you feel you know best, the expert pages are there for you to use.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

I see your point.Expert users only to use expert mode. On the othe side of the coin. TGIF has quite a few users that would rather not go into the dashboard to change servers from TGIF to BM.

The gateway system That I set up does work reasonable well to separate TGIF and BM. I put TGIF on Network 3. All TGIF tgs are setup in the radio with 500000 + tg numbers. IE: tg9 is programmed as 500009 in the radio and handled by TGRewrite=2,500001,2,1,9999. We do have an issue when the user bounces back and forth between TGIF and BM in that there is no real isolation between networks in the gateway and both networks compete for radio time. BM is supposed to disconnect on a 4000 number but does not always work.

I have been working on a revised DMRGateway(with Ty KG5RKI) with 2 additional networks that will give the isolation when transmitting tg 90001 to 90005 where the gateway will only respond and send out rf from the selected network. This will also alleviate the issue of Network 3 being disabled. Unfortunately this does not work on the duplex hotspots where the user wants to use one tg for tgif and the other for BM.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

With 4 networks already, that makes DMR Gateway a complex beast, but if Ty gets his code pulled into the top level repo (Jonathan's) it will end up in Pi-Star.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
SP2ONG

Post by SP2ONG »

Last edited by SP2ONG on Sat May 02, 2020 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KD4IIW

Post by KD4IIW »

Is there a way to control TGIF selfcare from pi-star. I am still using 3.17 on a pi zero board. I would like to
control the talkgroups that I am connected to via the software. Is there an API to add in expert mode just like
Brandmeister?