Letter from ISP regarding pi-star IP.

All IP networking related issues
2e0pwz

Letter from ISP regarding pi-star IP.

Post by 2e0pwz »

Hi all, Ive recieved this letter from my ISP today regarding my pi-star IP. Can anyone shed any light on what's happening or a solution please? The ip they privided is actually different to the one I use to connect to the dashboard but if I type it in address bar the dashboard comes up🤷‍♂️

Many thanks
Jim.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210211_203315_edit_166255290798068.jpg
Screenshot_20210211_203315_edit_166255290798068.jpg (181.8 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Letter from ISP regarding pi-star IP.

Post by KE7FNS »

2e0pwz wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm Can anyone shed any light on what's happening or a solution please?
Contact your ISP and ask them for support.
2e0pwz wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm The ip they privided is actually different to the one I use to connect to the dashboard but if I type it in address bar the dashboard comes up🤷‍♂️
The IP they provided is probably the external network IP that they assign to your modem/router. The IP address that you use to access the dashboard is the internal network.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
2e0pwz

Post by 2e0pwz »

Thanks for the reply, but we're talking about virgin media so I won't be wasting my time as they're useless 🤦‍♂️
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

2e0pwz wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:53 pm Thanks for the reply, but we're talking about virgin media so I won't be wasting my time as they're useless 🤦‍♂️
LOL, well they scanned all the devices on your network and found something that has some sort of vulnerability. I'm not sure what it is, but it is possible it doesn't like some service on the RPi, it could also be some other device on your network that has it.

You really need to find out what they scanned, and what they have issues with, then you can figure out how to either remove or update the offending service.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

2e0pwz wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:53 pm Thanks for the reply, but we're talking about virgin media so I won't be wasting my time as they're useless 🤦‍♂️
I did some research for you.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/multic ... )%20attack.

And yes, Pi-star does allow port 5353, so it is probably what they are having issues with.

The instructions say that you can just block it at your router rather than removing it from the RPi.

2e0pwz

Post by 2e0pwz »

Thank you very much for that, not the most tec savy person tbh. So if I block that port will the hotspot still work as normal?
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

2e0pwz wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:36 pm Thank you very much for that, not the most tec savy person tbh. So if I block that port will the hotspot still work as normal?
Yeah, you block it (or at least make sure it isn't forwarded) at the router, so everything on your internal network doesn't get out into the external network. And when your ISP scans it doesn't see it available anymore.

Then everything on your internal network works normally.

That service isn't critical to the operation of the hotspot for 99% of the people using the pi-star anyways.

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Pi-Star does use mDNS, it also uses uPNP to request some open ports for D-Star use, you might want to make sure you have not set your dashboard public unless you want it to be public (or it will ask your router to forward port 80 for example).

Pi-Star will not ask for mDNS to be forwarded, so make sure you didnt set your router DMZ IP (some routers use this like a catch all port forward) and forward that to your Pi-Star.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk