Want to run 2 Pi-star hotspots

All IP networking related issues
W6CJ

Want to run 2 Pi-star hotspots

Post by W6CJ »

Newbie Question:

I would like to operate two ZUM RPI 3.5 hotspots:

Each would be on a separate RF channel.
Each would be on a separate DSTAR or YSF reflector.
Each would connect to the same home wi-fi router and ISP.

To avoid chaos and collisions, what should be configured differently in each ZUM RPI?

Thanks & 73,

Jay
W6CJ
AF6VN

Re: Want to run 2 Pi-star hotspots

Post by AF6VN »

No idea for YSF, but for DMR via Brandmeister you MUST specify different SSID, and likely different hotspot security passwords on the BM self-help pages.

Also don't know about D-Star; I just know you have to have your callsign registered. I lost my password on the registration system, but you may need to use it to allocate additional nodes (beyond the common B and C [70cm and 2m as I recall -- A being a near microwave band] via the registration system.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep for BM use a seperate SSID ID +01 02 03 etc and leave the security passcode the same across all connections based on you basic 7digit ID.

DSTAR: DPlus reflectors like ref001c or ref030c. Two simultaneous connections using the same callsign / ID login gets you a ban.

YSF: connect whereever you want. no known restrictions that im aware of. Just be thoughful of hogging bandwidth.

But given ur post reads you want them for different connections the above should never be an issue if you stay mindful of whats connected where and of course extra careful if ur running crossmodes.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)
Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W6CJ

Post by W6CJ »

Thanks all.
That was helpful.
Was thinking about 1 hotspot on YSF, another on DSTAR.... and rarely, both might be on.
W6CJ
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

W6CJ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:07 pm Thanks all.
That was helpful.
Was thinking about 1 hotspot on YSF, another on DSTAR.... and rarely, both might be on.
W6CJ
I run one hotspot here for DStar and another for DMR. Both are on full time. I have no problems with this.
Ki6anr

Post by Ki6anr »

What if I wanted to have one dstar hotspot running at home and one dstar hotspot running at work connected to the same dstar reflector. Are you saying this is not possible even if the suffix of the callsign “KI6ANR B” for home vs “KI6ANR W” for work? It would be great for family members at home (with their own dstar callsigns) could acces the reflector from the home hotspot and talk to me at work via my work hotspot. They would be accessing the home hotspot using their own callsign in the radio but still going through “my” hotspot (ki6anr b) and me be talking to my work hotspot (ki6anr w) with my callsign in the my radio. Seems silly for every person in the house to have to have their own personal hotspot, no?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Ki6anr wrote:What if I wanted to have one dstar hotspot running at home and one dstar hotspot running at work connected to the same dstar reflector.
You'll most likly get a ban if connecting both at the same to to the same dplus reflector. esp. their bigger ones like 1c and 30c.

It irrelevant what designator you use C, B, W etc. as you only have one login, and all installs will be logged in under that one login.

The dplus guys had warnings out about this before, if they find multiple logins from the same acc. on the same reflector you stand to get a ban from their network.

The bandwidth requirement on their bigger reflectors is huge and why they have said the above, theres only x amount of connections that can be supported at any one time. Why should you pull twice as much, esp. given ur prob. not using the 'other' connection at the expense of keeping another personal from connecting ?? I can see their argument. Although I actually rarely connect to them.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KE8VOD

Post by KE8VOD »

I'm setting up a friends DMR HT and ZumSpot1.3. I attached his Zumspot to my network and configured it with a separate IP address, his own UHF frequency, BM radio ID and with his BM password and API. My hotspot is an ST32-DVM/MMDVM_HS with my ID, password, IP address, etc.

If I have one of the hotspots turned off and I configure the other one, it works perfectly. However, if I bring up the other, already working, hotspot it gets corrupted (no DMR corrupted display among other issues). The only way I can get it going again is to turn off the working HS and reinstalling a previously saved backup configuration. Then, after several reboots, it starts working again.

Both hotspots are running Pi-Star 4.1.6 and Dashboard 20230924. The HS's are about 10 feet apart. What is going on? How can I get them to play nice together?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Give each hotspot its own SSID.
Eg. DMR ID 01 DMR ID 02 this will ensure the digital networks see them as seperate assetts.

You also might want to give one its own host name ie pi-star2 So ur own home network can better identify one from the other.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.