Want to run 2 Pi-star hotspots

All IP networking related issues
W6CJ

Want to run 2 Pi-star hotspots

Post by W6CJ »

Newbie Question:

I would like to operate two ZUM RPI 3.5 hotspots:

Each would be on a separate RF channel.
Each would be on a separate DSTAR or YSF reflector.
Each would connect to the same home wi-fi router and ISP.

To avoid chaos and collisions, what should be configured differently in each ZUM RPI?

Thanks & 73,

Jay
W6CJ
AF6VN

Re: Want to run 2 Pi-star hotspots

Post by AF6VN »

No idea for YSF, but for DMR via Brandmeister you MUST specify different SSID, and likely different hotspot security passwords on the BM self-help pages.

Also don't know about D-Star; I just know you have to have your callsign registered. I lost my password on the registration system, but you may need to use it to allocate additional nodes (beyond the common B and C [70cm and 2m as I recall -- A being a near microwave band] via the registration system.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

W6CJ wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:48 pm Each would be on a separate RF channel.
Each would be on a separate DSTAR or YSF reflector.
Each would connect to the same home wi-fi router and ISP.
I recall a post where it was mentioned that if you run multiple DStar connections you will get blocked as it is against the rules.

I guess if you have it set to one hotspot dedicated for YSF and one for dedicated DStar then there shouldn't be any issues, but I don't think that is what you are wanting. I would avoid trying what you are wanting to do.

The only thing that is important when running multiple Pi-Star's or RPi's on the same network is to make sure each RPi has a unique hostname or you will get errors when you try to connect to the dashboard using the hostname.

Name one pi-star1 and the other pi-star2 etc.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: and again
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

AF6VN wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:57 pm No idea for YSF, but for DMR via Brandmeister you MUST specify different SSID, and likely different hotspot security passwords on the BM self-help pages.
For BM DMR you just need the different ESSID digits for each hotspot.

If you try to setup different passwords you'll get one hotspot working, and then go in and set a new password which knocks off the hotspot that you had working, and you'll just be running around chasing your tail. So just use the same BM password across all hotspots.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: and again
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep for BM use a seperate SSID ID +01 02 03 etc and leave the security passcode the same across all connections based on you basic 7digit ID.

DSTAR: DPlus reflectors like ref001c or ref030c. Two simultaneous connections using the same callsign / ID login gets you a ban.

YSF: connect whereever you want. no known restrictions that im aware of. Just be thoughful of hogging bandwidth.

But given ur post reads you want them for different connections the above should never be an issue if you stay mindful of whats connected where and of course extra careful if ur running crossmodes.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)
Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W6CJ

Post by W6CJ »

Thanks all.
That was helpful.
Was thinking about 1 hotspot on YSF, another on DSTAR.... and rarely, both might be on.
W6CJ
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

W6CJ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:07 pm Thanks all.
That was helpful.
Was thinking about 1 hotspot on YSF, another on DSTAR.... and rarely, both might be on.
W6CJ
I run one hotspot here for DStar and another for DMR. Both are on full time. I have no problems with this.