Voice not getting out on home cable modem

All IP networking related issues
W5CKB

Voice not getting out on home cable modem

Post by W5CKB »

So I've been having an issue with my home modem not letting my transmitted audio onto the DMR network. I know the hotspot works since when tethering to my phone it works flawlessly. Also at the hotel I've been staying at out of town, it also works well with received and transmitted audio. I only use my hotspot for DMR, no other modes are set other than DMR. The cable modem I have is an Arris SBG6700-AC. My hotspot is MMDVM Raspberry Pi Hat running 4.9.35+ kernel. I have adjusted the firewall on the router to the lowest setting before being totally disabled which I don't want to do. Are there any ports which need to be open? I have also set the router to enable Upnp. Many fellow Hams have told me I sound great when I'm connected to my phone or hotel router so I know the hotspot is configured correctly. Any suggestions would be great!

73s W5CKB Troy
W8ZAC

Re: Voice not getting out on home cable modem

Post by W8ZAC »

I had the same problem when I first got into these hotspots. I could hear users just fine but no one could hear me. Local parrot worked but the YSF Parrot I was using didn't.

Turned out it was my cable modem and router. Modem was an older Motorola Surfboard Sb6121, router was a Netgear R6250. I couldn't tell you which one was the problem as I replaced both with a newer Combo Model (Netgear C6300) but it was frustrating.

I'd say try updating the firmware on your router and cable modem and factory wipe them if you can. Worse case, you may be up for a replacement.
W5CKB

Post by W5CKB »

The modem is actually pretty new. It's an all in one unit, WiFi, router and cable modem. It's maybe two years old if that. I can check the firmware on it.
W8ZAC

Post by W8ZAC »

Oddly enough my router was a year old and I got rid of it. It was a quick by when my last one died during a move. I didn't have time to dive into it more but what eventually tipped me off it was the router was the issues with my smart tv. You might be able to make the hotspot a static IP and put it into a DMZ.