Using ipv6 and Pi-Star 4.0.0.RC4?

All IP networking related issues
G0TOV

Re: Using ipv6 and Pi-Star 4.0.0.RC4?

Post by G0TOV » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Hello, I apologise in advance if my question is in the wrong place.

I have upgraded and setup V4 RC4 and although DStar works perfectly, when I look at the live log files for DMR it consistently reports "Login to Master has failed - retrying DMR Network" and never connects - if I put the card back in that has V3.4.17 everything works perfectly. I am "assuming" (probably wrongly) that it has something to do with IPV6 which Vodafone, My home broadband ISP, does not yet support. The router (Billion 8800NL R2) does support it but not much use if the ISP doesn't. Is this my problem please or am I looking at completely the wrong place - any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Mark.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 pm

I don't know the direct answer to your question, but have you tried using a different DMR Master? Also, if you're using BrandMeister, another thing that might help is to set up a Hotspot Security password. There are instructions for that on the Pi-Star Wiki: http://wiki.pistar.uk/Pi-Star_Brandmeis ... t_Security
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:26 pm

G0TOV wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:12 pm
I have upgraded and setup V4 RC4 and although DStar works perfectly, when I look at the live log files for DMR it consistently reports "Login to Master has failed - retrying DMR Network" and never connects - if I put the card back in that has V3.4.17 everything works perfectly.
Yeah, I agree with Toshen, its probably the hotspot security. I had to create a password for that, the default one just didn't ever work.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

G0TOV

Post by G0TOV » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Hello and thank you both very much. As soon as I am back at home I will read the article you sent Toshen and try the security. I haven't changed any settings other than those which you need to configure when the image is first created. I shall report back, thank you. as i say, 3.4.17 works perfect. V4 RC4 runs much warmer than V3 I notice.

Regards,
Mark.

G0TOV

Post by G0TOV » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Hello again, just a quick update to say that appears to have done the trick and changing the security V4 connected first time - thank you so much for your help, advice & assistance.

I note V4 runs at a little over 50 degrees and is orange in colour as opposed to around 45 degrees and green in V3.4.17 so I shall keep an eye on that. No doubt the software will receive an update if it is an issue from it's developer in time.

Regards,
Mark.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm

V4 does run hotter, as do some of the new RPi boards (3B+ and 4B). The additional heat in V4 apparently is related to dashboard activity/logging, and the developer is aware of the issue.

My two cents (and worth every cent!): you don't need to worry about 50 C. If you get above 60 C, then it's a good time to start keeping an eye on things, though I still wouldn't really worry at that level. I'd start to get a bit concerned in the upper 60s, though the RPIs are designed to throttle themselves if they get too hot, so again, you don't need to get too worried. Heat sinks and good ventilation in your case can help.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm