uPNP question

All IP networking related issues
W1FJM

uPNP question

Post by W1FJM »

If I am using my hotspot for DMR only, with uPNP on, does PI-STAR also have uPNP forward the D-STAR ports to my device also?
Fran
W1FJM
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: uPNP question

Post by M1DNS »

Given All it's doing it forwarding port traffic to the pistar install. If ur not running a particular mode, I'd of thought in theory as ur not going to have any inbound traffic on the associated port(s) as those mode(s) are not running. ie. No modes, no network traffic. You might try watching / reading the logs in ur router, or maybe monitoring ur network with something like wireshark.

Personally I don't use pnp, its switched off in pistar and switched off in my router. I've sometimes got up to 6 different installs as well as XLX, HBlink, DVswitch, echolink/ asterisk and a few others running from time to time, with all forwarding configured manually in the router setup. If you've got more than one running for different modes I'd recommend you set it up manually, and don't forget setting each with a static ip. or with an allocation asigned in the router.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W1FJM

Post by W1FJM »

Andrew,
The reason for the question is that, up until recently, I was running one system with DMR(uPNP on) and another with DSTAR (uPNP off and port forwarding in the router). Someone told me I would have problems with routing, I never did. Actually I had three systems running, two PI-STAR with uPnP on, one DMR and one DSTAR, and a the third was running Ubuntu with Ircddbgateway and Dstarrepeater. Allthe DSTAR ports were being forwarded there. I never had a problem.

I would like to go back to running all three again and I am trying to understand how this all works and why I never had a problem.

Thanks
Fran
W1FJM
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

I don't use pnp. Setup each in the router.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W1FJM

Post by W1FJM »

Andrew, OK, but if i turn of uPNP then I can't rout the same ports to two different systems. All my systems have static addresses.
Fran
W1FJM
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

W1FJM wrote:Andrew, OK, but if i turn of uPNP then I can't rout the same ports to two different systems. All my systems have static addresses.
So if you have more than one install for the same mode that's correct. you won't be able to do so manually, if runni g them on a domestic service, But that's not what you initially referenced in ur opening post, so the reply I gave it wouldn't apply now you have indicated you have several installs running with the same mode. Unless they are setup for use connecting via different protocols? and if there's a need for 'all' to have inbound routing.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.