Pi-Star AP Shows Available When Cable Internet Active

All IP networking related issues
N6DMR

Pi-Star AP Shows Available When Cable Internet Active

Post by N6DMR »

I have just seen a Pi-Star 3.14.xx on a DVMega show the Pi-Star AP when it is connected and working through a hardwired internet cable.

Is this normal? I have not seen it on a bunch of other DVMega setups I have worked.

I attached a picture of the PC Internet window...

Appreciate any info on how this should work.

Duane
N6DMR
Attachments
Pi-Star AP.jpg
Pi-Star AP.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
AF6VN

Re: Pi-Star AP Shows Available When Cable Internet Active

Post by AF6VN »

N6DMR wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:39 pm I have just seen a Pi-Star 3.14.xx on a DVMega show the Pi-Star AP when it is connected and working through a hardwired internet cable.
The DV-Mega is irrelevant. WiFi is handled by the Raspberry-Pi regardless of the digital hat on top.

My experience is with an R-Pi 3B running as an nginx web-server. It has a wired connection to my router, but the OS still gave priority to the WiFi connection. I tend to have to keep doing an "ifconfig wlan0 down" after significant Debian updates and a reboot (and then re-SSH into the server as the SSH session was going from router to server over WiFi).

I suspect that even with a wired connection, the R-Pi is trying to make a WiFi connection and triggering the access point mode

My Pi-Star unit is in the middle of the house, and I'm NOT running a 40 foot CAT-5 for it -- so the only connection it has is WiFi.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber