Pi-Star AP Shows Available When Cable Internet Active

All IP networking related issues
N6DMR

Pi-Star AP Shows Available When Cable Internet Active

Post by N6DMR »

I have just seen a Pi-Star 3.14.xx on a DVMega show the Pi-Star AP when it is connected and working through a hardwired internet cable.

Is this normal? I have not seen it on a bunch of other DVMega setups I have worked.

I attached a picture of the PC Internet window...

Appreciate any info on how this should work.

Duane
N6DMR
Attachments
Pi-Star AP.jpg
Pi-Star AP.jpg (27.68 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Pi-Star AP Shows Available When Cable Internet Active

Post by KE7FNS »

Completely normal.

If you don't want it to show up in network scans, go into the configuration and turn Auto AP to off and reboot.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
AF6VN

Re: Pi-Star AP Shows Available When Cable Internet Active

Post by AF6VN »

N6DMR wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:39 pm I have just seen a Pi-Star 3.14.xx on a DVMega show the Pi-Star AP when it is connected and working through a hardwired internet cable.
The DV-Mega is irrelevant. WiFi is handled by the Raspberry-Pi regardless of the digital hat on top.

My experience is with an R-Pi 3B running as an nginx web-server. It has a wired connection to my router, but the OS still gave priority to the WiFi connection. I tend to have to keep doing an "ifconfig wlan0 down" after significant Debian updates and a reboot (and then re-SSH into the server as the SSH session was going from router to server over WiFi).

I suspect that even with a wired connection, the R-Pi is trying to make a WiFi connection and triggering the access point mode

My Pi-Star unit is in the middle of the house, and I'm NOT running a 40 foot CAT-5 for it -- so the only connection it has is WiFi.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber