Lose connection to Local Web Server

All IP networking related issues
K0HYD

Lose connection to Local Web Server

Post by K0HYD »

Greetings!

I have searched many forums trying to find an answer to this issue. My Internet connection to the Raspberry Pi running Pi-Star is fine. The connection to the radio is fine I can work anyone I call.

The problem is on the local area network where the Pi-Star web server provides the Dashboard. My dashboard is only available about 10 percent of the time. It works great when it works but once it quits I cannot get it to come back. And, I also cannot make an SSH connection or a VNC connection with the Raspberry Pi. The only way to reset it is to crash the Raspberry Pi by turning off the power... not a safe operation.

I operate as net control on a weekly DMR net and rely on the Dashboard heavily while I'm running the net. Most of the time though it doesn't make it through half of the hour long net.

I tried restarting the service when it wasn't available but it wound up restarting the Pi every 5 minutes.

There has to be an answer to this problem. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks to anyone with a solution.

73 de Dale - K0HYD
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Lose connection to Local Web Server

Post by KE7FNS »

K0HYD wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:40 am The problem is on the local area network where the Pi-Star web server provides the Dashboard. My dashboard is only available about 10 percent of the time. It works great when it works but once it quits I cannot get it to come back. And, I also cannot make an SSH connection or a VNC connection with the Raspberry Pi.
Question: when you are trying to connect to it are you using the IP address, or the hostname? If you are using the hostname, it could be your router forgetting the route after X amount of minutes. Try typing in the assigned IP address instead, or simply try pinging the IP address and see if you get a response.

Also when the dashboard is unavailable does it still accept radio calls or play audio from a TG you are monitoring? If so then it could be that your RPi has moved to a new IP address for some reason.

I'd look at your attached devices in your router the next time you can't access the dashboard, and see if its assigned IP address changed from what you were trying to connect too. I'd also setup your DHCP settings in your router to force a specific IP address by the MAC address of the RPi, that way it will never be given a different IP address, it will always be whatever IP address you assigned.
K0HYD wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:40 am The only way to reset it is to crash the Raspberry Pi by turning off the power... not a safe operation.
You could add a shutdown button to safely shut it down (theres tons of tutorials on the web) or buy a pimaroni on/off shim and install it. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3581

That is a simple way to cleanly shutdown and power off the RPi when you can't access it remotely.
K0HYD wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:40 am I operate as net control on a weekly DMR net and rely on the Dashboard heavily while I'm running the net. Most of the time though it doesn't make it through half of the hour long net.

I tried restarting the service when it wasn't available but it wound up restarting the Pi every 5 minutes.
You never said what model of RPi you are running, if you are running a RPi Zero W, I'd get a microUSB to ethernet adapter, or move to a RPi with an ethernet port and use a wired connection.

You also didn't say which pi-star version you were on 3.4.17, or 4.1.2. If the old one, I'd install the latest version, it has settings that disable wifi power save, so wifi adapters don't ever go into sleep mode. It could be a wifi power save issue.

If you don't want to upgrade make sure wifi power save is disabled.

Code: Select all

iw wlan0 get power_save
On is bad which means it goes to sleep and could drop connection, off is good.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
K0HYD

Post by K0HYD »

KE7FNS

I'm on it! thanks for all the many suggestions. I think I'll try WiFi adapter or an Ethernet adapter on the Pi Zero W first and see what happens. I'll also double check the settings you suggested.

Sorry for the delay getting back. We had the Kansas QSO Parrty and I was busy getting ready for it and doing paperwork after.

I really appreciate the help!

Dale - K0HYD

BTW: The Flightaware that has the same problem is at 3B.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

K0HYD wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:32 pm BTW: The Flightaware that has the same problem is at 3B.
... is that RPi hardwired or wifi?

If its wifi, move it over to wired.

If its already wired, then its got to be your router forgetting the route. I'd look for a newer firmware for the router and see if that makes a difference. It might be time for a new router. What make model is it?
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

K0HYD

Post by K0HYD »

Thanks for reply KEFNS!

The 3B is WiFi. It's in a remote location next to 1090 MHz FlightAware antenna where there is no wired ethernet.

Router is a new Netgear RAX80 version 6 router.

I'm in the process of making a new image with Raspian 4.1.2. Just need to set up the WiFi and VNC connections before I swap the cards. Will then need to update the router as the image has the February version of V4.

Thanks!

73 de Dale - K0HYD
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

K0HYD wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:20 pm The 3B is WiFi. It's in a remote location next to 1090 MHz FlightAware antenna where there is no wired ethernet.
Ok, so for that one you are going to have to check the wifi power save setting on it, since the Flightaware guys run their own image (based on Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS so its very similar to Pi-star, but I think it has a full desktop). I've never installed it or checked what they default the wifi power save to, but if its got power save mode on it could be that the wifi is falling asleep. The default in the standard RPi OS that both images stared with is on so they probably haven't changed it.

Also, if it is defaulted to on, you might want to contact their support and see if you can get them to change it to default to off.

Maybe that will make a difference.