Networks, Configuration, etc - Questions

All IP networking related issues
kc7ve

Networks, Configuration, etc - Questions

Post by kc7ve »

Background: I have two hotspots running. One is running as a simplex hotspot. The other is running as a duplex hotspot. Mostly this is just to learn how all this works. I also have GPS (for APRS) and that's working fine. Everyting is working great.

So what's the problem? Well, it's working but I see stuff I don't understand.

Passwords: I have set my password for Brandmeister security. I have tested it and it's all working. And I verified by mismatching the passwords and sure enough my hotspots stopped working. Now, I'm back to the correct passwords and it's working fine.

However when I go to the DMR GW page under EXPERT, I don't see my passwords anywhere. I have 3 Networks areas in that file, none appear to be for the Brandmeister network. I suspect it's Network 1, since that's the only change I made. I redirected 91 from slot 2 to slot 1, so it shows up on my display in the top slot. That works fine, so I assume Network 1 is Brandmeister. But why isn't my password in that file? If I set it, on configuration page, and it's working, shouldn't it be automagically changed in that GW file?

IP addresses: I have the USA 3103 server selected. But in Network 1, it's showing 87.117.229.173, under Network 1. What is that IP for? It doesn't appear to be the server I've selected. Shouldn't it be for the server I'm using? There are no USA servers selected in this GW file. So I'm confused.

Networks: I have an XLL and Network 1, Network 2, Network 3. I assume they can be any network I wish to use. I haven't changed anything from what the hotspot came with. Since it's one of the typical pi-star pre-builts, I assume Brandmeister should be one of them. Best I can tell it's likely Network 1 but there is no name and the IP doesn't look like the server I selected. Can someone explain what these IP represent?

Shouldn't there be a reference to a Brandmeister server? I'm using USA 3103 and don't see anything referencing it.

Slightly off-topic
Contacts: As I understand it, contacts are just a list of TalkGroups. And they can be Group Call or Private Call. My Contacts have a mixture of Group Calls(91, 93, etc). And a few Private for direct contact.

What happens if I make a direct call to an individual Radio ID, through the pi-star? Does it hog the system? Is it publically heard? Is it forbidden? I know if I make an RF call, by ID, it's a radio to radio and others on that freq, don't typically rear it. I'm just wondering what happens if done through a pi-star.

Similarly, what happens if, I add a personal contact (i.e. mine), in my Contact list, and I make it Group Call, vs Private. Then create a channel, for that contact. Does that mean more than one person can contact me simultaneously. I have tried this, and it does go through the system and I hear it on one of my other radios but I don't know if it's possible for multiple people to call me at the same time. Just curious. And if this does happen, again is that something frowned upon, via pi-star. Would everyone ear the conversation.

Finally, the typical way these are used is people make calls from their radio to a talk group. No one is directly contacting another person's radio. But is it possible? Or common? Or allowed? This is similar to above but what if I want any number of people to be able to contact me. Is it possible to make a group call, such that the Group call, does directly to my pi-star, without interfering to TG91 for instance?

I think the answer is yes, because I just created such a channel and contact, and tested it. I had a radio for two different hotspots, and I could hear my call coming out of both radios. But I don't know if that's frowned upon. And I don't know if that makes it a TalkGroup, which I know are frowned upon, if not coordinated. Just trying to understand this stuff.

Thanks
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
kc7ve

Re: Networks, Configuration, etc - Questions

Post by kc7ve »

Ok, most of what you said is kind of how I expected it to work. But one way I was thinking it might work was to allow multiple people talking and listening by making my radio ID a contact but "Group Call" vs. "Private Call". Doing that would seem to allow several people to talk in a kind of party line fashion. Obviously you'd have to take turns. And anyone wanting to listen would have to have my radio ID, listed as a contact on one of their channels.

And about what I was getting at with my Contact comment. If I have a contact (my radio ID), and it's Group Call, and I have a channel for that contact, then I can listen to anyone making a call to it. And if others have the same Contact, and channel assignment for it. I would think everyone who makes a call to it, is just like making a call to any other Talk Group, and anyone monitoring that contact, on their end, should also hear the conversation. They might have to kerchunk it once to make it active. I guess I'll just have to test it.

And when I tried that, and used one of my hotspots to contact my other hotspot, by making a call to my radio ID (as a Group Call), the pi-star showed KC7VE talking to TG KC7VE. Which made me think it was acting like a Talk Group. I'm just concerned about testing this, since I don't want to be kicked off, :)
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
AF6VN

Re: Networks, Configuration, etc - Questions

Post by AF6VN »

kc7ve wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:19 pm Finally, the typical way these are used is people make calls from their radio to a talk group. No one is directly contacting another person's radio. But is it possible? Or common? Or allowed? This is similar to above but what if I want any number of people to be able to contact me. Is it possible to make a group call, such that the Group call, does directly to my pi-star, without interfering to TG91 for instance?
Remember that DMR originated as a BUSINESS BAND radio service. The type where, say, a construction company leases a dozen or so HTs from a radio service provider (who likely also operates at least one repeater in the service area). The radio service provider would program the leased radios with a number of talk groups, as requested by the CoCo, along with contact IDs for each unit. This programming would not be shared with other units leased to other companies. For a CoCo, talk groups might be set up for entire-job-site, or specific function groups. For a moderate job site, it is possible most of the units will be operated in "talk-around" (simplex) mode, and not bother fighting for access to the provider's repeater. The talk-groups are likely local to the CoCo and service provider. Contact IDs may be issued from a block of numbers "owned" by the service provider. If the CoCo is conscientious enough to ensure that employees receive the same radio each day, the contacts could be programmed with employee names -- allowing for 1:1 conversations rather than everything going group-wide. A receive group list would be used to ensure that, even if someone is in a private 1:1 mode, calls from management (say) to the site-wide group will be heard by all.

Note that, I believe, Brandmeister supports the use of an individual DMR ID AS a talk group ID number. This essentially means that everyone with a DMR ID has a "personal" talk group -- and anyone else programming that ID as a group call channel contact (and anyone with that group ID in a receive group list /activated/ on BM should hear traffic).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber