Ethernet and Wi-Fi enabled, which will Pi-Star use?

All IP networking related issues
N7HHI

Ethernet and Wi-Fi enabled, which will Pi-Star use?

Post by N7HHI »

I have both ethernet and Wi-Fi in use on my Zumspot/Pi 3.
Both interfaces are up and am able to login to both.
When I am linked to a D-Star reflector, how do I know if it is using the Ethernet or Wi-Fi interface for communications?
Scott - N7HHI
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Ethernet and Wi-Fi enabled, which will Pi-Star use?

Post by KE7FNS »

N7HHI wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:42 pm When I am linked to a D-Star reflector, how do I know if it is using the Ethernet or Wi-Fi interface for communications?
type

Code: Select all

ifconfig
Which ever one reports more packets is the one that is being used the other is just sitting there doing nothing.

You might as well just disable the wifi when eth0 is attached. I posted a script on how to do it.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2440#p11969
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
N7HHI

Post by N7HHI »

Thanks, I am familiar with ifconfig, but wasn't thinking of counting the packets, I have typically used it for seeing which interface has what IP assigned.

I will take a look at your script...
Scott - N7HHI
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

N7HHI wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 pm Thanks, I am familiar with ifconfig, but wasn't thinking of counting the packets, I have typically used it for seeing which interface has what IP assigned.
I'm sure theres some other way to figure out which one has priority but I've never attempted to figure it out. I know I have forgotten to plug in the ethernet on my test setup and it connects by wireless, but I don't know if the packets move to eth0 or if they stay on wifi once eth0 is connected.
N7HHI wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 pm I will take a look at your script...
It is very basic so it should be easy to follow.

Also turn off the Auto AP in the dashboard configuration, or else it will be on sitting there waiting for a connection 24/7.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: