small bug in HD44780 driver

PD9MWO

Re: small bug in HD44780 driver

Post by PD9MWO »

Hi Jason ( KE7FNS )
Sorry to say but i stop this nonsense.

Again and Again i told you in my case everything is working perfect. !
NO issues on my screen.

If you want to change the code be my guest.
( https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVMHost/blob ... D44780.cpp )
Just make changes to my last code change if you want. Its fine by me !

From now on I stop comments in this thread.
Bye
f1rmb

Post by f1rmb »

Hi,
PD9MWO wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:52 am Hi Jason ( KE7FNS )
Sorry to say but i stop this nonsense.

Again and Again i told you in my case everything is working perfect. !
NO issues on my screen.

If you want to change the code be my guest.

From now on I stop comments in this thread.
Bye
And you have made Jonathan to merge a bug:

Code: Select all

void CHD44780::clearPOCSAGInt()
{
	::lcdPosition(m_fd, m_cols - 9, m_rows - 1);
	::lcdPuts(m_fd, " Idle");
}
the string is 5 characters long, NOT 9.

Since you've increased the length of that field to 9, all string have to match that length.

EDIT: BTW, since it has to work on a 16x2, 8 have to be the maximum length for any field.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

PD9MWO wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:52 am If you want to change the code be my guest.
Its not about wanting to change your code, its about wanting the code to work PROPERLY IN ALL CASES.

Before YOU modified the code the only time it didn't work properly was when "POCSAG TX" was displayed on the screen (and that was another user making a poor implementation as the length was greater than 5), now " Idle" shifts around and leaves extra characters on the screen in many other situations. (any time clearPOCSAGInt() is called which is quite a few different places in the code).

You don't SEE IT because you sit there with your fingers in your ears and refuse to listen and test your code changes properly. It has been directly pointed out to you, and any other qualified coder would comprehend there is an issue now.

The code that causes the new issue is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, not mine to fix, it was YOUR SUGGESTION to change it, it just happens to be a very POOR IMPLEMENTATION for the reasons I've explained multiple times.

f1rmb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:12 pm And you have made Jonathan to merge a bug:

Code: Select all

void CHD44780::clearPOCSAGInt()
{
	::lcdPosition(m_fd, m_cols - 9, m_rows - 1);
	::lcdPuts(m_fd, " Idle");
}
the string is 5 characters long, NOT 9.

Since you've increased the length of that field to 9, all string have to match that length.

EDIT: BTW, since it has to work on a 16x2, 8 have to be the maximum length for any field.
Ah another good point, the max size can only be 8, so the string "POCSAG TX" needs to be shortened to maintain compatibility.

Thank you.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: and again
f1rmb

Post by f1rmb »

Hi,

FYI, I just saw the broken patch has been reverted on Jonathan's repo, also the "POCSAG TX" string was shortened to "POCSAG".

Way better ;-)

Cheers.
---
Daniel
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

f1rmb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:01 am FYI, I just saw the broken patch has been reverted on Jonathan's repo, also the "POCSAG TX" string was shortened to "POCSAG".

Way better ;-)
Hrmm, you got me thinking is it better? or is it still broken... I just realized "POCSAG" is 6 characters, when it should only be 5 according to the string size limitations. So I wonder if the G is going to wrap to the next line or top in the case of a 16x2.

I guess I'll have to do some testing tomorrow when I get some free time.

I had hoped that G4KLX would of just completely reverted that guys code after the comments made him aware of the issue, but he asked me to do a pull request instead.

Its a shame he wouldn't fix his own code, if I would of screwed it up and someone pointed it out to me, I would of fixed it right away.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

f1rmb

Post by f1rmb »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:22 am
Hrmm, you got me thinking is it better? or is it still broken... I just realized "POCSAG" is 6 characters, when it should only be 5 according to the string size limitations. So I wonder if the G is going to wrap to the next line or top in the case of a 16x2.

I guess I'll have to do some testing tomorrow when I get some free time.

I had hoped that G4KLX would of just completely reverted that guys code after the comments made him aware of the issue, but he asked me to do a pull request instead.

Its a shame he wouldn't fix his own code, if I would of screwed it up and someone pointed it out to me, I would of fixed it right away.
Well, in fact it's just a revert in the end (made by someone else), as the 'G' will still be missing. I quickly checked the code, but the POCSAG don't clear the whole LCD screen, but just overriding the field location.

Increasing the size of this field will require more changes to the code (it's 5 char long for info), and of course real testing ;)

Cheers.
---
Daniel
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

f1rmb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:45 am as the 'G' will still be missing.
The Wiringpi function lcdPuts() will wrap the text to the next line and if it reaches the end of the last line it will wrap it to the start. So the G will be there, somewhere :(
f1rmb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:45 am I quickly checked the code, but the POCSAG don't clear the whole LCD screen, but just overriding the field location.
Yeah, the whole module needs more work.
f1rmb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:45 am Increasing the size of this field will require more changes to the code (it's 5 char long for info), and of course real testing ;)
And I'm not interested in wasting my time doing that to the code for a display that hardly anyone uses.