Upgrade

WB4SJN

Upgrade

Post by WB4SJN »

One of my hotspots is running 4.0.0-RC4. Is there a step by step instruction for flashing the sd card? I was told it can't be done by the reular upgrade method.
AF6VN

Re: Upgrade

Post by AF6VN »

The simplest method would be to obtain a new SD card, download the recent install, and burn that to the SD card...

Then swap SD cards, boot, and configure (if you're using a WiFi connection, there is supposed to be a means of putting the connection information on the SD card before booting; otherwise you'll have to connect to the automatic access point mode to make settings and then reboot to get connected to the regular router).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Make a backup of your current configuration and then copy it to the root of your new image, reboot with the new image (wait a bit) and then log back in and double check the configuration.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KN2TOD wrote:Make a backup of your current configuration and then copy it to the root of your new image, reboot with the new image (wait a bit) and then log back in and double check the configuration.
when moving up from earlier releases that might not help you.
Given there are a lot of additions made to the latest releases more features, reworking a lot of changes etc.
If you rely on an older config it wont populate fields for features that weren't there in that release, itll just leave them at their default values which might no suit your setup.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

I don't know what I am doing wrong.I have tried to d/l 4.1.2.zip on three computers. An HP, an imac, and a Dell laptop In every case when the d/l finishes I have no file and says there was a network error.
And, on my hotspot I am trying to run sudo dpkg in the SSH Access. But, I don't know login to use and what password to use. I am truly a mess.
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

I am slowly beginning to get a little smarter but I am not quite there yet. I can now get into SSH Access but when I enter "sudo pi-star-update" it says not found. I have tried other ways of entry but no cigar. I can't say enough about how well people have been trying to help. Thanks to all.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

WB4SJN wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:23 pm I am slowly beginning to get a little smarter but I am not quite there yet. I can now get into SSH Access but when I enter "sudo pi-star-update" it says not found. I have tried other ways of entry but no cigar. I can't say enough about how well people have been trying to help. Thanks to all.
You need to type "sudo pistar-update" and "sudo pistar-upgrade", naturally without the quotation marks.
--

Brian G8SEZ
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G8SEZ wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:28 pm
WB4SJN wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:23 pm I am slowly beginning to get a little smarter but I am not quite there yet. I can now get into SSH Access but when I enter "sudo pi-star-update" it says not found. I have tried other ways of entry but no cigar. I can't say enough about how well people have been trying to help. Thanks to all.
You need to type "sudo pistar-update" and "sudo pistar-upgrade", naturally without the quotation marks.
AND with that EXACT SPELLING...

Note the difference:

"sudo pi-star-update"
vs
"sudo pistar-update"

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

It is always a good day when a plan comes together. Thanks again to all that got me out of my troubles. I now have 4.1.2 on my hotspot. I ran the upgrade and it put 4.1.1 on and came back with the same sudo error. I ran the upgrade again and it put on 4.1.2 on with no errors. I am a happy camper.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Pleased you got it sorted out, the thing to remember is that the update and upgrade steps sometimes need to be run a couple of times alternately.
--

Brian G8SEZ