Putting software on sd card

WB4SJN

Putting software on sd card

Post by WB4SJN »

I d/led 4.1.0 from the pi-star web site. I expanded it and opened Balena Etcher and flashed the file onto the new sd card. But, when I placed the sd card in the hotspot and powered it up it was not detected by my router. I feel there is a step that I am missing to make the sd card usable. I just don't know what it is. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
KN2TOD

Re: Putting software on sd card

Post by KN2TOD »

Did you build the required Wifi file so the hotspot knows the name/password of your router? Try following these instructions: <https://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php>
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WB4SJN wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 pm I d/led 4.1.0 from the pi-star web site. I expanded it and opened Balena Etcher and flashed the file onto the new sd card.

Just a hint for future flashings, you don't need to extract the files from the .ZIP, balena Etcher will do it for you. Just load the .ZIP file and click flash.
WB4SJN wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 pm But, when I placed the sd card in the hotspot and powered it up it was not detected by my router. I feel there is a step that I am missing to make the sd card usable. I just don't know what it is. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
There is nothing you need to do to make the SD card "usable". What is happening is the hotspot is booting up and it doesn't know your network settings so it is waiting for a connection so you can set it up.

There are a few ways to solve this.

1. You can install a file with your network settings on the SD card and then insert the SD card in the RPi and boot it and it will load those network settings from the file and connect to your network.

2. You can connect to the hotspots access point with a wifi device like a laptop or a phone and setup the network settings there, then when it is rebooted it will connect to the new network.

maybe this will help
https://amateurradionotes.com/images/1- ... i-Star.pdf

I thought you said you had updated your hotspot to the latest version in your other threads??
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

I have two hotspots, one homebrew and one store bought. The homebrew has 4.1.2 now. The store bought has 4.0.0 on it. Thanks for the reply.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WB4SJN wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:49 pm I have two hotspots, one homebrew and one store bought. The homebrew has 4.1.2 now. The store bought has 4.0.0 on it. Thanks for the reply.
Ah, ok you never mentioned you had two. You can backup and restore settings to help with the transition to a new version.

Also make sure each hotspot has a different hostname, ESSID and frequency or you'll encounter problems.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

I have configured my new sd card and the only problem right now is that I can't transmit. I am using the Anytone 868 with the same settings I have always used. I can hear the conversations, just can't transmit. I have checked settings over and over but no luck.
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

I think it is about time to buy a new hotspot!
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WB4SJN wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:53 pm I think it is about time to buy a new hotspot!
That isn't going to solve the problem only add another one to the mix.

You just need to double check all of your settings, there is obviously something set incorrectly.

Are you sure you have a different ESSID for each of your hotspots like I mentioned earlier? Try only operating one hotspot at a time, as two connections from identical hotspots will get you into trouble with the admins and likely temporarily or sometimes permanently banned from the server you are connecting to.

WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

You are a good person and I appreciate your help. Now both of my hotspots are 4.1.2 but there is one thing I just noticed they used to be 4.1.0-RC8. The RC-08 is what is missing. Could that be my problem? BTW- I never operate them both at one time, I only have one power adapter. Thank you again.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WB4SJN wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:29 am Now both of my hotspots are 4.1.2 but there is one thing I just noticed they used to be 4.1.0-RC8. The RC-08 is what is missing. Could that be my problem?
Nope, the RC# just means release candidate #, it was just an older version (hence 4.1.0) used for testing that people could install if they wanted to help test.

If you look on the change log you'll see the official versions listed, release candidates happen between official versions on occasion.
https://www.pistar.uk/downloads/

4.1.2 is the most current version as of today. As long as you fixed your transmitting problem it should be good to go.