FM

G0FHM

FM

Post by G0FHM »

Hi Folks,

I'm experimenting with FM mode, as an option (subject to NoV obviously) to add FM as a standalone mode.

I'm struggling though. I'm using a BI7JTA modem board with VR2VYE MMDVM firmware.

I boot the system up, only to be met with:" E: 2020-09-16 10:31:55.548 Received a NAK to the SET_FM_PARAMS1 command from the modem"

Would I be right in thinking this is a lack of firmware support?

Cheers,

James G0FHM
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: FM

Post by KE7FNS »

G0FHM wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:35 am Would I be right in thinking this is a lack of firmware support?

Code: Select all

This branch is 230 commits behind g4klx:master.
Yeah, that repo is not current. Hasn't been touched since Oct 2019.

Could contact the owner and ask them to become current, or just move to the original repo it was forked from.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Any one wondering... 4.1.2 supports fm. Its just the config hasnt be set to handle its setup. Its poss to copy the fm section to your mmdvm.ini then youll have FM mode, providing your modem firmware supports it.

[FM]
Enable=1
# Callsign=
CallsignSpeed=20
CallsignFrequency=1000
CallsignTime=10
CallsignHoldoff=0
CallsignHighLevel=50
CallsignLowLevel=20
CallsignAtStart=1
CallsignAtEnd=1
CallsignAtLatch=0
RFAck=K
ExtAck=N
AckSpeed=20
AckFrequency=1750
AckMinTime=4
AckDelay=1000
AckLevel=50
# Timeout=180
TimeoutLevel=80
CTCSSFrequency=88.4
CTCSSThreshold=30
CTCSSLevel=20
KerchunkTime=0
HangTime=7
UseCOS=1
COSInvert=0
RFAudioBoost=1
MaxDevLevel=90
ExtAudioBoost=1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G0FHM

Post by G0FHM »

Andrew,

It would appear that it may be a modem firmware issue. Everything is as it should be in mmdvm.ini, but the moment I enable it I get the error that I posted in my original post and that is that, it all stops there and no mode works.

The modem supports POCSAG (although the vendor was adamant that it didn't). There are no firmware updates available, as he is already on to a different board and the firmware is different (unless I try to flash the firmware, but don't want to trash the board). Pity that!

Thanks,

J
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

G0FHM wrote:Andrew,

It would appear that it may be a modem firmware issue. Everything is as it should be in mmdvm.ini, but the moment I enable it I get the error that I posted in my original post and that is that, it all stops there and no mode works.

The modem supports POCSAG (although the vendor was adamant that it didn't). There are no firmware updates available, as he is already on to a different board and the firmware is different (unless I try to flash the firmware, but don't want to trash the board). Pity that!

Thanks,

J
Yes. sounds like it might be the issue and as Kevin replied above the firmware there is a old vers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

G0FHM wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:29 am There are no firmware updates available, as he is already on to a different board and the firmware is different (unless I try to flash the firmware, but don't want to trash the board).
What processor is on that board you are trying to use?
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

G0FHM

Post by G0FHM »

I'll have to get my magnifying glass out and have a look.

Will report back!
G0FHM

Post by G0FHM »

STM32446RE. Does that sound right? It was a total PITA to read with my eyesight :D :D
DSCF3016.JPG
DSCF3016.JPG (111.66 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Photo for confirmation, for somebody to double check!

Thanks
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

G0FHM wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 am STM32446RE.
Almost, its STM32F446RE

You are in luck. That processor is capable of running the most current MMDVM code that includes FM support.
https://groups.io/g/OpenDV/message/367

There shouldn't be any issues or any risk of damaging the board because you are just writing to one chip, even if the writing failed, you'd just try another write. The only way to brick it would be to somehow nuke the bootloader, and even then its possible to restore that with a bit of work and the ST utilities.

I checked that repo and it doesn't appear that he ever made any custom changes to that code, he just forked it and quit updating the repo.

If for some silly reason you ever wanted to put the old firmware back you would just download that old repo, build it, and flash it.

If you want FM support the only way to get it is to run the updated firmware on that board, or buy a new board that supports it.

G0FHM

Post by G0FHM »

Thanks for that!

Now I just need to find the code!

The only code that is on BI7JTA's site is the current code, which appears to have been stopped at that version. I've tried others, but the modem hasn't liked it, and i've had to revert to the current code.

Will have to keep digging!

Thanks again!

James