Duplex Mode Questions - pi-star

kc7ve

Duplex Mode Questions - pi-star

Post by kc7ve »

This is not really a repeater question but it's related.

I'm trying to understand the way I can use duplex, with my pi-star. I would like to be able to monitor 2 different Talk Groups, and display data two different lines, as the duplex displays suggest is possible. Currently all the data coming from the pi-star is slot 2 and only the 2nd line is ever changed. If certain TG are on TG1, then they would display on the top line and not just show LISTENING. I did test this to see if it's possible by crating a channel for ECHO test, using slot 1 on my radio. And when I transmitted the top line showed my initial call and the return call. So, I know it's possible.

I think I can do what I want. And I believe it requires ReWriting rules for the DMR Gateway.

I have my hotspot running and setup for duplex. What I would like to do is:
1) redirect certain TG so they are transmitted as Slot 1 or Slot 2, and show up on my SL1 line or SL2 line, on the display.
2) The primary goal is to be able to monitor activity for two different TG on my hotspot display.
3) A secondary goal would be to have some radios receive Sl1 traffic, and others to receive Sl2 traffic.

I have tested
1) my radio communicates to the pi-star, on Sl 1 or Sl 2, depending on channel setting
2) my hotspot display does show the radio info on the correct slot, on the display

So, to this point everything is as it should be. Now, what I need to do (I think), is ReWrite the rules to redirect those certain TG I'm interested, to the specific slot I wish to see them on.

Example:
Currently everything is shown on the dashboard as Slot 2, and everything is displayed on the 2nd line. As an example, say I wanted the busy TG91, to be shown on Line 1 (slot 1 position), and everything else to be on the 2nd line (slot 2 position). I need to have the TG-91 shown as slot 1. And I believe ReWrite the rules is the way to do that.

Am I correct this would work? That I can redirect certain TG to different slots?

I would think the change should add: TGRewrite0=1,91,2,91,1 But where should it go? After the last entry in Network 1, or 2, or 3, or all of the above? And should it go in every network section including XML?

Side Note: When I was doing my ECHO test, I noticed that if I transmitted as SLOT 1, it showed up on the top line, as expected. However, EVERY other TG after that was also showing as Slot 1, on the dashboard. That is a behavior I don't want. I don't want all TG to suddenly be diverted to the last use Slot. How does one prevent that?

UPDATED:
This is a snippet of the INI file. I would think the ReWrite might be: TGRewrite=1,91,2,91,1 but where would it go in that Network section? At end? And there are several similar "Network" sections. Should it go in all? Which "Network" (1, 2, 3) section is for what purpose?

And some of these have suffex of 0 and 1 (i.e. PCRewirte0, PCRewrite1). What are those for?

And what is the PassAll stuff?

[DMR Network 1]
Enabled=0
Address=87.117.229.173
Port=62031
TGRewrite0=2,9,2,9,1
PCRewrite0=2,94000,2,4000,1001
TypeRewrite0=2,9990,2,9990
SrcRewrite0=2,4000,2,9,1001
PassAllPC0=1
PassAllTG0=1
PassAllPC1=2
PassAllTG1=2
Password=passw1rd
Debug=0
Last edited by kc7ve on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
kc7ve

Re: Duplex Mode Questions - pi-star

Post by kc7ve »

Think I'm close. The FROM and TO seem backwards. I had to use

TGREwrite=2,91,1,91,1

In Network 1 section. I thought the FROM was from the RF to the pi-star, so had it the other way. But that didn't work. When I switched it to like above, it seemed to work. I have it displaying TG 91 on the top line and everything else on the 2nd line. Even my APRS is still working.

Now, the thing I don't understand is Network 1, 2, and 3. I didn't change anything in Network 2 or 3. Should I. What specifically is Network 1 for? Is that all the Brandmeister network?

I'm going to have to make a short video of this duplex node working, in duplex, once I get the kinks out of operating it.

Mike
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
kc7ve

Post by kc7ve »

What specifically is Network 1 for?
You answered your own questions. Network 1 is for whatever you have programmed in Network 1. Same for Network 2, 3, etc. You can have multiple networks.
Not really. That was what was already programmed for Network 1. I have no idea what it was for, since I didn't create it.

I just had 3 Networks in the file, and just started with Network 1. That seemed to work after I added the ReWrite line. But I don't know what that Networks is (other than 1), nor what the other 2 are for. Or whether I should add the line to the others.

I understand that there can be more than one network. I just don't have an understanding what these are and why there are 3 vs. say just the one. I guess I could delete 2 and 3 and see what I lose. :)
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
kc7ve

Post by kc7ve »

I made an interesting little video showing the duplex hotspot working. Which also demonstrates several
of the useful aspects of a duplex hotspot.

I have redirected TG91 Slot 2 to be on Slot 1, and therefore show up on my display, on the first line.
All other TGs are still on Slot 2, and displayed on the 2nd line.

Then, I setup a handheld to monitor TG310, and made a call with a 2nd handheld, to the Tac310 channel.
This was taking place, while a conversation was in progress on TG91, and can be seen on the top line.

The path for this test was from handheld 1, to my receive antenna on hotspot, to the internet, then
from internet back to the hotspot, then out the transmit antenna, to my other handheld.

My GPS data is also being sent out, for APRS. I think I'll redo the video with better lighting and stabilized
camera, to show this a little better. And I will make a video showing a superimposed dashboard showing
the traffic through the pi-star.

Updated Video
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967