Anyone any ideas please?

G6YIQ

Anyone any ideas please?

Post by G6YIQ »

Hi all

This is our problem. We have built the reflector (which seemes to work) and has the callsign of the reflector maker. We have the Pi-Star working at the repeater end when he uses a hotspot to access the reflector the Pi-star at this end (with the call sign of the repeater) kicks the repeater and he is on air. When someone else replys over the repeater the Pi-star at this end seems to RX but nothing is heard at the other end ( the hotspot from the reflector).
It must be a setting either on the repeater end Pi-star or the reflector. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks.
AF6VN

Re: Anyone any ideas please?

Post by AF6VN »

Insufficient information...

D-STAR, DMR, YSF, other? Brandmeister, for example, is (or has) phased out "reflectors" since every reflector was mapped to a regular talk-group.

And the description is confusing -- I can't really tell what is connected where and how said connection is made. You mention the "callsign of the reflector maker" -- but that is how Brandmeister identifies a "private" talk-group, not a reflector. And D-STAR reflectors do not use callsigns. You mention Pi-Star and you mention a hotspot -- but most all non-proprietary hotspots run Pi-Star... (SharkRF OpenSpot is proprietary)... So -- how many Pi-Star installations are we talking about here? What type of radios are connected? Can you create an ASCII art diagram of the configuration and network paths.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G6YIQ

Post by G6YIQ »

Thanks for coming back to us. We are operating in YSF only at present. with an R-Pi based reflector and R-Pi based gateway .
We have tried 2 different builds for the reflector and both seem to do the same thing. overnight they simply stop working and as a consequence drop off of the list. The gateway seems stable and when it is all working it is brilliant.
The gateway is based at my location in a small village and the internet connection, although adequate is relativly slow so the Reflector is at a friends house in a local town with cable speed connections.
The origional build of the reflector was based upon the _RPi_V4.1.4_08-Feb-2021.zip I believe and the new one on the G4KLX itteration. Both seem to do exactly the same thing.
It seems to be that it is usually over night that the fault occurs. We know that the reflector was working at 01:40 this morning but by 07:00 it was down and no longer listed. I will ask my Nic to look at your post and see what he can add.
Kind regards,
Jeff
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Youll have dificulty hosting a reflector and an mmdvm install on the same external ip.
You need to change the inbound port for the reflector, as one port cant be forwarded to two machines.

The std. Install uses port 43000 (i think, from memory as not at home to check) which is the default for ysfgateway. Change the port used in the ysfreflector install config and re- register.

Couple other things to help. The pistar...
There is no such thing as the pistar or a pistar. what you have there is a hotspot or a gateway installation. Pistar is a software image that runs on a hotspot or gateway/ repeaters pi hardware.

Gateway is a simplex rf installation.
Not the reflector installation.

Sounds narky, but isnt intended to be, if we try to use the correct terminology, it helps solve issues quicker.

If you repeater/ gateway / hotspot is dropping off over night it is because you havnt defined a startup reflector in the YSF config panel. If that entry is none, after the overnight maintenance scripts do their thing they restart pistar services. If its set to none, it will not reconnect to anything when it restarts.

If the reflector is dropping off overnight, meaning it isnt available to the www, then thats something different alltogether.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G6YIQ

Post by G6YIQ »

Andrew
Sorry perhaps I did not explain it well.
I host the repeater (not part of the system as such I know) and the gateway. That end is stable and does have the default startup in the config.
It is the reflector that trips up. That is hosted at an entirely different home the other side of town) sometimes it has crashed but other times it is still running but no longer in the list.
I open the admin for the gateway in the morning and find that it is "Not Linked".
I use the term Pi-Star because that is the software the gateway is running and the reflector was origonally based on. We have changed to the other (later) reflector software but we still seem to have the same problem. The only other device at the reflector end is a hotspot but that has never been on when the problem has occured and is on a different port.
Thanks for trying to help, any other thought a re still very welcome
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Log files!

So far the description of your problem comes across as

"It was running when I went to bed, and it wasn't running when I got up".

There is nothing usable for diagnostic purposes... Even "last boot time" could signal something if it has a time between the "went to bed" and "got up" conditions.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G6YIQ

Post by G6YIQ »

Looks like the problem might be solved.
Thank you for your interest and help.