State of D-Star Repeater Software

KI5US

State of D-Star Repeater Software

Post by KI5US »

We have a reasonably active group of D-Star users here in Sun City Center, FL (south of Tampa). We have a repeater stack of Icom repeaters (modules B & C) controlled by Icom software running on CentOS. A couple of us are interested in possibly "upgrading" to a more contemporary application suite and hardware (preferably a Pi-3 or 4). Of course, some prefer the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, and maybe that's the best path forward.

I'd expect that folks on this forum are much more in tune with the latest developments in D-Star capabilities, software and general interest in the amateur community than I am. While I am familiar with (and like) DR mode, REF/DCS/XRF reflectors, Gateway CQs, and callsign routing, there are probably other features that I'm not aware of. And some repeaters and hot spots support some of those features, but not all of them (is that even possible?)...

So, I'm looking for comments from knowledgeable hams on what alternative/better software is currently available (that works with the Icom repeater stack) and what features are most desired in a D-Star repeater in 2021. For example, we've been looking at QnetIcomGateway, possibly Pi-Star (DStarRepeater - does that work with the Icom repeater stack?), and so on.

Thanks & 73!
Keith / KI5US
KI5US

Re: State of D-Star Repeater Software

Post by KI5US »

I'm still struggling with this question, even after talking with Icom at Hamcation 2022 in Orlando.

Anyone on this forum care to share their insight? With end-of-life support for CentOS 7 & 8, does the Icom software work well with CentOS Stream? Is there a better/more appropriate forum to pose these questions?

Thanks!
Keith/KI5US
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: State of D-Star Repeater Software

Post by M1DNS »

You wont be using dstarrepeater.
You'll be using ircddbgateway

https://github.com/g4klx/ircDDBGateway

Thats what 'talks' to ur icom stack and what gives you the extra abilities to link with more than just ur current dplus reflectors.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.