Possible bug in DStar mode

VE7OES

Possible bug in DStar mode

Post by VE7OES »

I am responsible for a DMR machine running PiStar. We also have a machine running G3 plus g2_link on an Icom stack. When we set PiStar up originally we experimented with the DStar portion, but turned it off after several weeks. This was about 4 years ago. It's been off ever since.

We are running the latest version and used a backup to transfer the settings from the old version to the newly written sdcard so things would just work, but DStar was still off. Looked in expert settings and have noticed that the original DStar settings were still there.

This is relevant because those settings were quoted to us from a xrf reflector that accused us of causing interference on the reflector and gave the correct IP address for the pi-star machine. He's now banned us.

I would believe that it the activation is turned off on the DStar option, anything in that stanza should be ignored, but this is clearly not the case.

I have removed the dstar information from the stanza in expert mode, but thought I'd report this as a bug. I have no idea if this will fix the issue but the the reflector owner has indicated that the club is now persona nongrata. Unfortunate as we has members that checked in on a net on that reflector.

Hans Oeste/VE7OES
VE7OES

Re: Possible bug in DStar mode

Post by VE7OES »

Sorry, but I think something is infurred that isn't so.
Regarded Quoted Setting -- These are the setting that were there when we originally set the DMR machine 4 years ago to see how DStar would work. The setting used at the time were not remove, the option for the protocal to be used was turned off after about two weeks. Turning it off expected it to work like a faucet, there might be water in the line, but if it's turned off, you don't expect it to drip. And it appears to drip unfortunately.

The part about having the setting quoted to us was by the XRF machine owner that DStar was running on at a particular IP and that to make it STOP. While the IP was correct, DStar was not supposed to be active and the Pi-Star dashboard showed it as inactive. I'll ignore the rest of the comment, other than to say, I am aware that I'm responsible for the repeater.

I ended up blanking/removing the info in the Callsign, and gateway, network name and beacon text using expert mode. I'm hoping that that will have suffice.

People were using our ICOM DStar node stack to connect to the XRF repeater... Not the Pi-Star system. Yet for some reason the Pi-Star appeared to be using the setting from 4 years ago to connect to the XRF reflector. There would be no other way for the Pi-Star enabled machine to attempt to connect. I saw a log where the machine was attempting to connect every 10 seconds and being rejected.
Good day.

Hans
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Possible bug in DStar mode

Post by M1DNS »

If your saying that the config is the reason for your issue then im not surprised given you seem to be saying you reloaded a config from an install 4yrs ago into a newer version that has far more features and softwate rewrites to the older release. a 4yr old pre dated configuration will only supply around 1/2 of what would be written in saving a backup config. for the new release.

Essentially what you have done is taken the body off a mid level sports car and dropped it onto a lada chassis and now stating a right to complaint that it no longer handles like a sports car. ???

Or maybe im reading it differently to what your saying / asking here in getting your ban?

If so then maybe you could better quantify what you are actually asking. as jason says above what your writing isnt overtly easy to follow. Have you spoken with the admin to enquire what led to the ban?

Im also guessing you had two instances running into the same dplus reflector. Dplus have mentioned in many places a while back running more than one connection into their bigger reflectors under a single registration login will get you banned from their network.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.