RX ON PI-STAR NO CALLSIGN OR

MW6KDA

RX ON PI-STAR NO CALLSIGN OR

Post by MW6KDA »

my m8 lives on his own and asked me if you can listen to dmr on pistar hot spot .....but he has no callsign. can this be done just for him to listen to dmr and if so can someone tell me how thanks.
AF6VN

Re: RX ON PI-STAR NO CALLSIGN OR

Post by AF6VN »

Suspect not...

One needs a DMR (CCS7?) ID to register the hotspot with most of the DMR servers.
One needs an Amateur callsign in order to register for a DMR ID.

From the server point of view, a hotspot and a repeater isn't greatly different, and require verifiable callsigns before going live.

Hmmm, one also needs a DMR ID to be programmed into one's DMR radio.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Given every hotspot transmits using the hams callsign setup in the config, and he doesnt have a callsign to add. No.

Theres nothing stopping him however from listening to ur hotspot transmission, providing hes in range of it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
MW6KDA

Post by MW6KDA »

thanks for the replies .....so how do i set this up for him on jumbo spot using p-star software .
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

MW6KDA wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:50 pm thanks for the replies .....so how do i set this up for him on jumbo spot using p-star software .
In short - you don't, it is not legal.
Pi-Star will re-transmit conversations and call related meta data (like the DMR ID etc), you just cant do that legally without a valid licence.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
W5DLA

Post by W5DLA »

Have tou tried to see if you can maybe find something on broadvastify. I do know that there are some ham clubs that connect the repeater to broadcastify for the public to listen.